+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Facebook messaging

Facebook messaging

This is kind of an odd one. I met a girl in the year below me in school (im 16 she is 15) when we were both helping out at an event. Sadly we weren't put together for anything so basically we just kept passing by each other and I would make her laugh and then we would have to move on. This was a while ago and I kind of forgot about it. Then recently I saw her staring at me and thought nothing of it. Now my mate who I walk around school with a lot has said he keeps seeing her looking at me.

But, there is barely any opportunity to talk to her because we have no classes/activites/ etc in common due to the year difference, the only time I see her around is in the gym and that's kind of an awkward place to start. A friend recommended that I facebook message her because back at when we were doing the event I added her and briefly chatted to her. I was kinda a lot more socially insecure back then and her answers were enthusiastic but seemed kinda fake and as if she was just humoring me e.g not asking any questions back, so I stopped messaging. Now I know from a friend who read the messages that that wasn't the case, but I still have her as a facebook friend. If I were to message her it wouldn't be completely out of the blue, just very random.

I am stuck between messaging her now and risking coming off as creepy/awkward, or waiting until school starts again in two weeks (half term break atm) and still trying to find the right moment. This has already been going on for a week or two and I know people will shout, get over her you are only 16. Yes I know that, that's why I am asking this, I'm planning on just taking the plunge and if it doesn't work, whatever. I just want to maximise my chances of it working out .

If it helps she is very outgoing and popular girl, the kind who just does whatever she wants. However because she isn't afraid to make a fool of herself, she isn't afraid to make a fool of others, which I would rather avoid being on the receiving end of.

What have you got to lose by sending her a quick, private note on FB? Hey, saw you at school today. Sorry we didn't get a chace to chat. How's everything?

I can't believe you have no activities together. Activities cross class lines. Is there a sporting event coming up? What about a dance or concert?

We are in different years. Don't know what that means in US, but at least in my school we have 200 in our year and everything we do that is organised is with those people. I am in boarding school so there isn't really an "after-school club" system.

I think your sporting event suggestion is good. Everyone comes out to watch the 1st team rugby game on a saturday so I might try that. That brings up my second problem, which is she is always surrounded by girls/guys in her year. It would be verry awkward for me to come over with all her friends there, that I don't know.

On the facebook message, I guess I just don't want to seal her opinion of me as wierd or creepy by sending it.
    Thanks though

After you chat a bit on FB, perhaps you can offer to sit by her at the rugby game.