+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Friends and friendship

Friends and friendship

I once read this book, I don't remember what the title is, but it broke friendship into three categories:

friends for pleasure. this is the ultimate level of friendship, according to the book, because you purely enjoy the person's company.
    friends for utility
    friends for group something else ( i don't remember)

what are your take on what a friend is?

(i feel like i have started a thread like this before, or maybe someone else have already started one already. if it has already been started, could you point me in the right direction?)
    "Ogres are like onions."

friends are warmth

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I'd say my friends are a mix of all three. Considering I can get support and fun out of 'em.

I would say my friends are for pleasure. I love to be around my friends.
    You may not think you are the world of someone, but to someone you are their whole world.

Friends are people you choose that make YOU feel good about yourself (this applies to girls). Feel good about yourself (I mean this in terms of body weight and all that).

Friends are people that would go out for a drink (Men)

Men and Women have different definitions of friends.

Junket is offline -
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Or how about, people have different definitions of what friends are?

Quote Originally Posted by Frasbee
    Or how about, people have different definitions of what friends are?
    No, my definition is pretty much concrete.

lol

friend ( P ) Pronunciation Key (frnd)
    n.
    A person whom one knows, likes, and trusts.
    A person whom one knows; an acquaintance.
    A person with whom one is allied in a struggle or cause; a comrade.
    One who supports, sympathizes with, or patronizes a group, cause, or movement: friends of the clean air movement.
    Friend A member of the Society of Friends; a Quaker.

Quote Originally Posted by RSK
    No, my definition is pretty much concrete.

lol
    The way you keep putting these lols remind of of lovelylady..

Your definition is pretty concrete as to what the word friends mean to you.

But, think about the different friends you have, if you have any, and what each one gives and takes from you.

I have a few friends. I used to not have any because my definition of a friend was very strict. So, I'd have coworkers with whom I was very close (considered friends by association), classmates whom I meet up for drinks, acquaintances whom I know because they provide connection to something, salsamates with whom I danced salsa. People's role were very distinct me and often defined by the context in which I met them. So, if I met you online, you'd be my online buddy. If I met you through a e-penpal site, you'd be my e-penpal. If I met you through a speed-dating event, you'd be the guy/girl I met through a speeddating event.

But now, I have a few really close friends, and if I think of doing anything, I'd love to discuss things with them and see if they agree. And I also use the term friend a little bit more loosely.
    "Ogres are like onions."

Artyemi----Some friends that I have:
    *partying friends----this is more in the acquaintance category. If I want to go to a club, I call up this lot.
    *friends for sports----If I'm heading down to the track, I call this lot.
    *friends for coffee----Usually women, a select few whom I have coffee with, hang out, shop with, and talk about frivolous stuff with. Nothing serious.
    *Old friends----People I used to hang out with, work with, the people is this category used to be in my life, but because of circumstances, I hardly see them. I usually call up this group every 6mths or so, just to touch base and catch up.
    *True friends----A handful. Eventhough I don't run with them on a regular basis, I'de trust them with my life. People I've known since childhood. This is the ultimate category.

I'm with Chlorine with the partying, and old friends category.

The "True Friends" are what I'd like to discuss.

As I heard someone put it once, you could be away for months at a time and you see each other again and the conversation doesn't turn awkward or trivial like "how have you been?" or "what have you been up to"..but rather you never loose a step. It's hey, let's go and do this.

It sucks that true friends can turn into *old friends* but time and distance away can do that. You simply grow apart because you stop having so much in common.

Ah, nostalgia...

Chlorine:
    haha.. I don't have coffee friends, but I'm trying very hard to do that. I just simply don't have too many friends. Mostly old friends.. Friends I try to catch up with every now and then, friends I go to dinner with, friends I go dancing with. I'm trying to improve my friends relationship though.

Like I used to skip out on my brunch friends, but realize that they are also my drinking, party, dancing, broken heart discussion friends, dinner, etc.. That's when I realized they were more than just brunch buddies. I could talk to them about anything, and brunch was the light hearted times when only light subjects were discussed.
    "Ogres are like onions."