+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Who hates talking on the phone when in a relationship?

Who hates talking on the phone when in a relationship?

Obviously you spend time together, but you also make phone calls in-between, right? I thought most women liked talking on the phone over texting, no, yes? I can do both a quick call and a quick text, but making plans I prefer getting a voice confirmation, so no miscommunication.
    Life is a song - sing it. Life is a game - play it. Life is a challenge - meet it. Life is a dream - realize it. Life is a sacrifice - offer it. Life is love - enjoy it.

My feelings when it comes to the phone are kind of complicated. LOL! In general, I honestly hate talking on the phone. I'm not sure why, but I just find it annoying and a waste of time. When early in a relationship, that is different. I love talking on the phone to a significant other, or close friend.

But, then once the significant other and I are together for a while (and often together all the time anyway) or the friend and I have already hung out a lot, the phone becomes a bit of an annoyance again. A quick call is one thing, but when I see you all the time anyway, I don't see the need for a long conversation. Unless it were something where one person is traveling and you won't see each other for a while or something like that. But, that is just me. Not really sure why, but in general I just find talking on the phone to be annoying and a waste of time.

I definitely think women (in general, of course, not all women) tend to like it better. They can often talk on the phone for hours to somebody they literally just saw. I don't know how they do it. LOL!

I prefer in person communications to the phone but if the phone is all there is, in the begining it's fine. Voice is better than text but text is OK for quick things like "Are we still on for 8?" I HATE people who want to have meaningful conversations about feelings or other deep issues via text or e-mail. Those conversations require context, inflection & body language

Quote Originally Posted by DalM0m View Post
    I HATE people who want to have meaningful conversations about feelings or other deep issues via text or e-mail. Those conversations require context, inflection & body language
    DalM0m....

What's the meaning of life?

LOL! Sorry. Couldn't help myself.

I ran out of thanks to give must be back on some sort of daily posting limit as I noticed the server changed -- so I'll hit ya up next visit with that, same to all who post in my absence.

Thanks, EvilJester. I am good with the ten minute call, or if really important and cannot get face to face, the 30 min call. lmao. But I am not on some phone call veto, and I don't like when calls aren't taken when you know someone is at home. I know I personally don't like taking calls at work, unless work related, but residential is different, imo.

Lmao at a waste of time. I used to hate the uncertainty of the other persons mood on the other end of the call, I know others get my drift Yeah, I thought the same thing as you said in your last sentence, but not my current girlfriend, she has a male POV on calls, threw me, likes to text more. I might be nitpickin' otherwise all else works great.
    Life is a song - sing it. Life is a game - play it. Life is a challenge - meet it. Life is a dream - realize it. Life is a sacrifice - offer it. Life is love - enjoy it.

Quote Originally Posted by DalM0m View Post
    I prefer in person communications to the phone but if the phone is all there is, in the begining it's fine. Voice is better than text but text is OK for quick things like "Are we still on for 8?" I HATE people who want to have meaningful conversations about feelings or other deep issues via text or e-mail. Those conversations require context, inflection & body language
    Missed ya post when tying to Jester, DalM0m.

Lmao at the having anything meaningful over texting, I don't like the 10 min plus text lengthy back and forth that much, to me a text is a quick one off. I agree got something important to say, face the other person or call em. I ****ing laugh at the cowards who break up over a text, grow some peeps.

You know what is REALLY aggravating? When somebody sends a WALL of text via a text message. You know what is even more aggravating? When they do that, not realizing that there phone is still old enough that, instead of sending it in one text, it breaks it down into several smaller texts. You wind up getting like 8 texts in a row and you are sitting there screaming at your phone "ARRRRRRRRGH!!!! IF IT IS THAT LONG JUST CALL ME!!!!!!" LOL!

if a LDR i don't mind but if we live in the same town i don't see why we need to have long phone convos, anything imp we can talk about when we get together. every girl i dated was a lets talk on the phone kind of girl, all of them, i talk on skype with overseas friends. what did your girl say about why she hates discussing on the phone and why she likes texts?
    When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.
    William Blake

Quote Originally Posted by TheEvilJester View Post
    You know what is REALLY aggravating? When somebody sends a WALL of text via a text message. You know what is even more aggravating? When they do that, not realizing that there phone is still old enough that, instead of sending it in one text, it breaks it down into several smaller texts. You wind up getting like 8 texts in a row and you are sitting there screaming at your phone "ARRRRRRRRGH!!!! IF IT IS THAT LONG JUST CALL ME!!!!!!" LOL!
    I'm guilty of that. My smartphone just automatically converts it to a MMS when I go over 160 characters. Combine that with Swype and I don't even realize. Though I do have a 3-text limit. If a text conversation goes beyond three texts, I call. If it's that damned important, it'd better be a voice-call.

OP: I DON'T detest phone conversation - it saved my sanity when my wife and I were separated for long periods of time. We'd spend pretty much ever waking hour possible (save work or school) on the phone with each other. We weren't necessarily talking, but she was in my ear via bluetooth. Occasionally one of us would say something to the other... it was kind of like being in the room with her.

i love talking on the phone! good way of communication

I really enjoy phone talks, and long ones even if we live in the same town, especially when you do not live together and don't feel like driving 30 minutes at 2am because you want to talk, or need to talk. I do not mind texting either but I do not like to have in depth text conversations at all, it seems like you don't care as much if all you want to do is type words to your partner and not actually speak to them over something that is troubling you.

Quote Originally Posted by joanna1 View Post
    I really enjoy phone talks, and long ones even if we live in the same town, especially when you do not live together and don't feel like driving 30 minutes at 2am because you want to talk, or need to talk. I do not mind texting either but I do not like to have in depth text conversations at all, it seems like you don't care as much if all you want to do is type words to your partner and not actually speak to them over something that is troubling you.
    i love talking to my boyfriend on the phone, but unfortunately he hates it!! guys..

Thanks for the sexism, pig.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartIsAching View Post
    Thanks for the sexism, pig.
    You're right, that is sexist, I just want to point out that it is only "sexist" in that it is a gender-based prejudice. It is not institutionalized sexism though (I'm sure you are well aware of this and I don't mean to be disrespectful by pointing it out, I just think it's important to make the distinction).

What this imbalance of power translates to on an individual level is a difference in the impact of a man being prejudiced towards a woman and a woman being prejudiced towards a man. While both parties are human, and therefore have the same capacity to be hurt by the prejudice, whether they like it or not, the men have a whole system of history, traditions, assumptions, and in some cases legal systems and “scientific” evidence giving their words a weight that the women don’t have access to.

[...]

Racism and Sexism are different from race-based or gender-based prejudice. I don’t have to have any particular power to hate a white person. I don’t have to be in any particular position in society to say nasty things to one on the street or give them dirty looks. That’s prejudice. Based on race. However, if I do any of these things, it doesn’t really matter. It might hurt a white person’s feelings if I did that. It might cause them momentary discomfort. But that’s about it.

That’s not to minimize how you feel when these things happen to you, but it is to put those things in perspective. Making you uncomfortable does not rise to the level of racism. Racism is not merely a bad attitude toward people of another race. Harassment is definitely wrong, and I’m sorry you experience it. Still, that’s all it is.

http://finallyfeminism101.wordpress.com/2007/10/19/sexism-definition/
    Jffs, I also don't like talking on the phone. I'd much rather text, chat, or videochat. If we see each other almost every day, texting and chatting is enough. I've found that most people of older generations are against texting and chatting, whereas for us "youngsters" it's a much more common and spontaneous thing. Of course the best thing is always in-person communication, but if I had to choose between texting and talking on the phone (assuming there's nothing extremely important to talk about, in which case I do agree that a phone call is better than texting, for example if you're having a fight and you can't see each other in person for the moment), I would choose texting.
    Last edited by searock; 05-11-13 at 02:49 AM.

I nice long phone conversation is great once in awhile. But when you see each other everyday I prefer texting.
    I can't always answer the phone right away and can get back with a text when there is more time and I can think
    of what I want to say.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast