+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Facebook I hate what you do to me. He hasn't changed his status and I'm being a child

lalalita Guest

Facebook I hate what you do to me. He hasn't changed his status and I'm being a child

I recently became exclusive with the man I've been dating for 2 months. It's only been a few days, but after meeting his son last night, I felt wrong having my status still say "Single" as I felt very "relationship-y" and am pretty tired of males approaching me like I'm not involved with someone. I changed it to "In a Relationship" this morning, but didn't send him a request since I figured that might be too much. He "liked" the status change, but that's been it. He's not a big Facebook user, but it's bothering me that he is still listed as "Single" because he clearly was on long enough to see and acknowledge my post.

I come from past toxic relationships, so I'm definitely paranoid over little things that don't have anything to do with him.

I'm 25 years old and feel like his teenage son! I don't know what to do! I don't want to come across childish, but it's bothering me. To me, not updating his status means he is uncomfortable. I don't know how to breech the subject or what action to take. Do I just wait and see what happens?

I don't want to be a fool proclaiming I'm in a relationship when he's apparently "Single".

You can take my grown woman card away from me.

Have you tried asking him?

You admitted that you're being a bit childish about this. And you said he's really not a heavy facebook user. Is it possible that maybe you're having a knee-jerk reaction here? I think you should let it slide because he will get around to it eventually. If you bring this up with him, you're going to raise a red flag. You've only been dating for 2 months... and really, your past relationships - that is a poor excuse. It'll send him running the other way.

How about having no status and putting your FB on private to ward off other men from messaging you.

What ever happened to open honest communication? I have always done this with anyone I have dated. I'm not afraid to express myself..if I really want to be with someone I let them know....and guess what....no issues!

lalalita Guest
    We're currently LD during the week. I'd have no problems asking him in person, but things tend to get misconstrued via text with us. I don't want to sound petty.

How about picking up the phone?

lalalita Guest
    Do you really think it's an issue, though?

Not about FB, I mean instead of texting all the time, pick up the phone and talk to him to develop a better connection with the guy. it's obvious you don't know where you stand in this relationship or if it's anything really serious.

I think it is just a matter of girls and guys thinking or seeing things different and having different priorities. If he doesn't use his FB that much, unlike you might he wouldn't even think to change his and if he did, then he would get lots of questions about hey who are you dating... and maybe he likes his privacy? If you met his son, he cares about you and if he liked your status change that was his acknowledgement to you and maybe he felt the like was enough? Wait until he is back home and if it still bothers you discuss it, you don't want it nagging at you and undermining your feelings for him or thinking something that is wrong. Good luck.

Jesus Fuccking Christ! I'm so happy to be in my 40s and not have to deal with this childish crap

Grow up already.....you are 25 years old....act like it. !

According to my FB profile I"m married. I'm not married, I was just having a laugh. Jezus, it's FB for gods sake - it's not real life.

The real issue here is the lack of open, comfortable communication between the two of them. I think the reason for that boils down to the age gap between them: she's afraid of being considered "childish" by him. Typical problem in couples with big age differences.

I hate Facebook because of things like this. I had problems with my last girlfriend with this Facebook official thing. She wanted to do it but I didn't. In the end we both ended up deactivating our Facebook profiles because it caused too many arguments.

Haha the thing about FB is that it is 'real life' to younger generations so it's all good and well for us to dismiss it but this is something they've actually grown up with and consider a part of their real lives. It's not going to change.

I'm 29 - I think my status reads 'widowed'. I could care less. My sister, on the other hand, is very prompt with the updates and status changes...but that's where the 8 year age gap kicks in.

Seriously, thought - just ask him about it. Open it with 'This might be silly but...I noticed you're still listed as 'single' on FB...it just makes me feel a bit insecure...'. See what he says. If he's like me, then a) he doesn't care that much about FB and b) he doesn't want all the 'likes' and 'comments' that a status change attracts.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast