+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Finding hobbies/activities to meet new people.

Is there any skill you would like to learn?

There is also meetmarketadventures.com that is set up where like-minded singles do activities that they pick and choose from wherein you'll meet both male and female people who are into the same things you may be into or wanting to get to know how to do.

Adding link that discribes them; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meet_Market_Adventures
    Last edited by Wakeup; 14-11-13 at 09:44 AM.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Thanks WakeUp.

Groovy. Thanks. Never heard of meetmarketadventures either. I will have to give that a try as well.

BackUp,

Yes, actually I had kind of thought of that. There are some things for which I'd love to take a class. That always seemed like a fun idea. For example, I thought an acting class, or creative writing class, or something like that could be fun.

Honestly, I've also been thinking of taking dancing classes. I've always been way too shy to dance, so I figure it might help me become less shy in that regard.

Dancing sounds perfect. I wish I could Mamba or something sick like that.

Dancing sounds like a good idea to me i also have the same problem with shyness when it comes to dancing, takes me a lot to try and usually requires Alcohol.

See, for me, FAndrews, that only complicates the problem....

I don't drink. LOL! I've actually never touched a drop of alcohol in my life (I know, I'm boring, LOL). I'm not really sure why, but it just never interested me. So, I unfortunately cannot rely on liquid encouragement to get me out on the dance floor. LOL!

Well i never really started drinking until recently and that is only socially, i never drink much and i know my limit; but yeah i suppose it does give me 'liquid courage' so to speak. and if the right girl asked, then i would definitely go for it, no matter how well i could dance.

I have come a long way in my life, and especially lately. As it is now, I wouldn't actively seek out to go dancing, but I think if a girl wanted to, I would give it a go.

It is hard to explain why exactly I am so shy about dancing. I think I just find it a bit embarrassing. I can't really explain it. Intellectually I know people are not going to be judgmental about me if I am not a good dancer. Heck, most people aren't. They just get out there and move to the music. So it isn't like I think people will make fun of me, or think I am terrible, or that I actually think I will embarrass myself. For some reason, the thought of dancing is just kind of embarrassing to me.

But, among many other things in my life, I've started to feel like I can get over that. It would just take the right partner. I need to just do it (not to steal a Nike catch phrase). But, I would need to have a dance partner caring enough to realize I am shy about it and help me to get over it instead of just expecting me to suck it up and get over it like it is just as simple as flipping a light switch. Not that I'm describing anybody I used to know. LOL!

I have the same problem with it mate, you aren't the only one, i suppose its because it takes you right out of our comfort zone and puts you right on display or something like that, it takes me a lot of effort to just get up and dance, wish i could let go more i suppose, anyways less about me.

Don't worry, being comfortable with dancing takes time to develop, and it wasn't until 21 that I didn't mind it anymore.
    Not having confidence around women didn't help me at first and being shy.
    Nowadays, I just approach any girl at a social and ask, because I know that I can somewhat dance.
    Been normally in the class setting, and it wasn't until this year that I have done the socials through Salsa (Bachata, Merengue , Cha Cha).
    This year I also learned basics of Zouk, and want to review what I learned in international Latin (Cha Cha, rumba, samba , jive through private lessons, while learning more of zouk, salsa? Bachata.
    It takes time to enjoy it and getting compliments helps me want to improve.
    The challenge is a great reward, and I love seeing my improvements each time I am out there on the floor.

Quote Originally Posted by basilandthyme View Post
    I'd possibly look at mixed gender sporting activities. A few years ago I was training with a group of senior swimmers (from age 25 to 80ish). Not only were they a social bunch, but once a month they'd have interclub meets.

I also find it hard to beat a BBQ (which is how I met my hubby). Host a BBQ and tell your guests that it's OK to bring a friend or two. Even if you don't meet a girl at the BBQ, you can look towards increasing your friendship group and via having more friends you may meet someone.
    I have a friend back in California that hosts an event once a week he calls "Steak Night". You bring a steak, a side dish and whatever libations you want to throw in the fridge and share, he runs the grill and the stereo. Friends of friends are welcome. I used to attend once a week... and a young lady started coming around that I found out after re-involvement with my wife, that was coming around because she was interested in me. What's really cool is that I set her up with a friend of mine (when I didn't know she was into me) and they're very happily married now.

So yeah, bring-a-friend barbecues work.

Have you checked out improv classes that are available soon in your city? I think lots run several weeks so if you want a beginners one you might have to wait for it, idk. You seem very friendly and outgoing to me online, you should just transfer that openness you have to face to face. I know easier said than done, but improv and acting classes would definitely help you out. I had a fear of public speaking so I helped myself by joining a book group years ago, and we had to discuss and read passages, the more I did it the easier it became. I like being around others but I hated all eyes on me for whatever reasons, I would freeze up and now I feel I am a lot better. Good luck in whatever you try.
    “I am the author of my life. Unfortunately I’m writing in pen and I can’t erase my mistakes.”

Steak night sounds like an awesome idea. And I like steak.

Btw,

Thank you Joanna. I actually always have been very open and outgoing online. That is so much easier to do. In fact, online I have the ability to be the me I want to be around people. But, then it is hard to be that person around people I don't know well (and especially women) because I am so shy. That's actually one of the reasons I always thought/hoped the whole online dating thing would work better for me. You create a profile, so you at least know a little about each other right off the bat. Then, you get to talk online first, so I am much more able to be the goofy, outgoing me I want to be. Once that ice is broken, it is so much easier. I've made some great friends online. Some have been friends for a long time, and some have even transitioned to be people I see in real life.

I am definitely considering acting and/or improv classes. Finding the time would be the trick. LOL! Life does get busy sometimes.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12