+ Follow This Topic

Thread: I need help

I need help

My boyfriend of almost 4 years and I had a bad turn last July - he was unfaithful with two other women - we have been working through those issues - and really that was going very well - He had never gotten through the end of his marriage in a healthy way and is in long term counseling-
    All of this started in July - I had worked through my issues with his infidelity and he assured me he only wants me and wanted to work through this .
    I was just getting my mind back in order in the last two weeks - back to normal - back to me - But his counselor has suggested he not see me for 6 months until he is healthy enough mentally to make a clear commitment to me without obligation but because he knows he is able to commit to me fully as a whole person .
    Here is my issue - I totally agree - he needs to get his head clear in order to have a healthy future with me - but at the same time I feel abandoned and hurt all over again because I have been shut out of his life - we still talk on the phone - every day at this point - I know he loves me - but we are not committed because he feels it would be unfair to me at this time. So how am I supposed to feel ? How do I go on everyday ? What if I put my life in limbo again for 6 months and he walks away from me forever? Do I take his calls or cut off all contact till he has come to a decision? This has knocked me back emotionally with all the progress I have made - I am lost and afraid and I dont know what to do - I want to trust and believe- but those voices keep ringing in my head with all the fear and doubt I had overcome in the past 4 months - please help me with what is next - I dont want to drive him away - but I dont want to hold all my feeling in either - can someone please tell me what I can do to constructively deal with my emotions and fears

IMO I find it really fishy that a counselor would make someone end their 4 year relationship for 6 months as part of therapy......I call bull shit.

I also don't believe a counsellor would suggest he put your relationship on hold for six months. I reckon he's making it up.

Your concerns are very legitimate - Insist on seeing the counsellor with him to discuss the issues you've raised here. His reaction will tell you if he's lying or if the counsellor is kooky.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

I ask to do to the therapist with him on the 18th so we can discuss the game plan an rules - IE can we still talk and how often - can I still see him every once in a while platonically so the separation is easier on both of us - - how do I help him with the codependency issues and not enable him - should he stay in individual sessions and we go for couple sessions as well ?