+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How do I quite chewing tabbacco.

How do I quite chewing tabbacco.

Hi all,

I need help. I chew tabbacco all the freaking time. That is the only bad habit I have and I have been doing it for over 10 years n I m 26 years old. I tried stopping but after 8 day I went back to it. It's a guilt pleasure of mine. No matter what I do, I have to chew. It helps me relax n think easy and it's a escape for me from all my problems. I m chewing right know as I m typing this.
    How do I over come this.

http://www.nidcr.nih.gov/OralHealth/Topics/SmokelessTobacco/SmokelessTobaccoAGuideforQuitting.htm
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Swap to a bubble gum and then switch to food.

In order to avoid shorterm satisfaction you have to find a longerm goal that will be the reason to stay on the way. Motivate yourself and set the rules. Lead yourself and leader have the balls to stick with rules.
    Last edited by pcmaster; 10-11-13 at 12:56 PM.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

I have tried a lot. With recent events in past few months chewing tabacco has been my only relief. My therapist advised not to quite. It will not help. But know things have slowed and eased up a lot. I need to find ways to slowly or completely cut it out of my life.
    It's been crazy.

You are probably aware that nicotine is addictive, I was a smoker for 20 years, maybe you could take up smoking instead? Hehe, just kidding, the funny thing with an addictive substance like nicotine, is that the more you take it, the more you want it. It is the nicotine itself that fuels the desire to want more of it. Wonderful for the tobacco companies, who wouldn't want to be selling a product like that! Shame about the whole cancer thing right! Anyway, once you realise this what becomes obvious is that if you dont do it for a while, the desire to do it reaches a peak and then falls off. I discovered this with smoking - I could not go an hour in the day without a cigarette but I could go a 12 hour flight without one. After about 10 hours, I suddenly discovered that I had a diminished physical craving and it didnt get worse. However, my psychological "training" always caused me to light up once I was out of baggage reclaim. When I finally quit, I used a 16 hour flight that I was on, but this time I simply said that I would experiment with myself and see what happened if I didnt light up after baggage and got straight into the waiting car, went home and then went to sleep. (it was night time) and in this way I managed 24 hours without a cigarette and fund that I had no physical cravings and because I had controlled my psychological desires a coupe of times, it became easier to do it again. Everyone is different and has different factors that cause them to finally quit, substitutions with gum are sometimes a good idea but not for all. There are also nicotine chewing gums that may help. Just keep trying and read a lot of different books on the subject. You will get there and it is not as difficult as it seems. Good luck.

Hey!I understand what you are going through. I used to smoke a lot for eight years. Try classical conditioning to quit chewing tobacco.First, you need to choose something that you don't like, for example some noise. This noise will be unconditioned stimulus that produces unconditioned response- irritation. Then, every time you hear that noise you need to chew tobacco. In this case tobacco is a neutral stimulus. After a while, tobacco becomes conditioned stimulus that produces conditioned response- irritation. In other words, if you chew tobacco when you hear irritating noise, eventually you begin to associate chewing tobacco with the noise and chewing tobacco itself will irritate you. In fact, we do not like to do something that irritates us, so eventually you will quit smoking

Thank you I have tried that once before. But everything is tuned out once I start chewing. Life itself comes to hold for in that moment of chewing.

Exchange the bad habit for a good healthy one. The ugliness of chewing and getting rid of that spit should be enough to help you with your will to quit.

Get yourself some nicotine gum and chew that instead. Becareful how you chew it though because if you chaw on it constantly, you will get dizzy as hell due to the quick release of nicotine. (you may not though if you're used to chaw).

Anyway, stop whining and just do something possitive that will help you with your addiction. Willpower and exchanging one habit for another will get you to your goal of being tobacco free.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

It will definitely work! You just need more patience and determination to quit chewing tobacco. Try different unconditioned stimuli. Maybe last time you picked something that you did not like very bad.

Start smoking cigarettes instead. Cigs are not as powerful as chew but it will take the edge off tobacco cravings.