+ Follow This Topic
Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: The looks scale, how do guys rate?

it falls under the who cares if they do or they don't category, imo. same as saying hot or not. people should be confident enough in who they are to not take offense to that kind of thing. not anything for posters to pot stir over.
    am i the only one who read joanna1's article? it seems similar to what somehelp4me posted in how both males that created the image 1-10 and the article see it alike.

also, sidenote, for those discussing posting pics you can always put your pic in your avatar spot, it would be small but its an option.
    Last edited by Exeter19; 26-11-13 at 03:12 PM.
    When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.
    William Blake

I took a glance at joanna1's article and then disregarded it right away. The 1-10 scale is about as simplistically brainless as they come, what that article did is akin to using quantum physics to solve 2+2 and thus it was unreadable to me.

Your all missing my point. My point is women such as the OP in this thread go to such huge lenghts to change who they are/how they look in order to boost their confidence coz society dictates whats hot and whats not and this rating scale makes women feel like shit coz OP prob spends 2 hours a day getting ready only to be told "shes average" (if thats what people are saying)..

It would be a better idea to tell this girl to work on her own self esteem and learning how to love herself instead of reinforcing her insecurity.

Again where i live most people dont participate in this rating scale so its alien to me which is likely part of the reason i hate it.
    Just coz i disagree with it doesnt mean im insecure. Im very comfortable with who i am and how i look and i also understand that everyones type is different. Sure some guys prob do think im a 5/6 coz i dont have giant boobs or bleached hair or coz some men like bigger women and im a 10 (6 in US i think) or coz some guys lile superskinny (size 0) etc etc but im also aware many would rate me an 8/9/10...

That doesnt stop me from hating it.

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by michelle23; 26-11-13 at 03:20 PM.
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

Quote Originally Posted by michelle23 View Post
    1) Your all missing my point. My point is women such as the OP in this thread go to such huge lenghts to change who they are/how they look in order to boost their confidence coz society dictates whats hot and whats not and this rating scale makes women feel like shit coz OP prob spends 2 hours a day getting ready only to be told "shes average" (if thats what people are saying)..

2) It would be a better idea to tell this girl to work on her own self esteem and learning how to love herself instead of reinforcing her insecurity.

3) Just coz i disagree with it doesnt mean im insecure.
    1) No they don't. Where has OP even briefly mentioned that she does any of this? Go back and read her post an point it out to me please. Even if she did, how would this be any less true without the rating scale? If a woman spends 2 hours dolling herself up to be hot, the subjective nature of hotness dictates that some guys are still going to think she's ugly and that could very well have a negative impact on her self-esteem - this is true with or without a number scale.

2) What girl? OP has not given us any indication of any self-esteem problems. She is asking casual questions about meaningless numbers - that's not indicative of a self-esteem problem.

3) Who said otherwise and when/where did they say it?

Let's revisit the post that has you going on about what a self-loathing mental-midget OP is according to you

Quote Originally Posted by joanna1 View Post
    What makes someone a 4 - 5-6-7-8-9-10? I never heard anyone call someone less than a 4 before so I started at 4 Plus I never really heard too many males rate anyone a 10 unless a supermodel.
    Is this article close to how men rate looks? Or not even close?

I have lots of male friends and they are always rating passerbys and what they rate isn't what I would rate, sometimes I would say a 7 and they think a 5, or they think a 9 and I think a 7.
    Not a lets debate it for serious sakes but curious how do men actually do their ratings.

And what is with the .5's?

http://www.livingwithballs.com/the-hotness-scale-defined/

This is the only post OP made ITT. She bailed after it got hijacked by all of this holier-than-thou fukkery. Please point out for me where you're seeing all of these indications of her being made to feel like crap by a subjective digit and having no self-esteem, not loving herself and such.
    Last edited by dickriculous; 26-11-13 at 03:33 PM.

Im talking in general. I know girls who absoultely despise themselves coz there a 12/14 (think thats an 8-10 in the US). I worked in a fashion store with women of all shapes and sizes and these girls are not fat or ugly. They actually look seriously hot in a tempest dress but a lot of men reinforce their insecurity with this crap. It just pisses me off.

Im talking in general. I know girls who absoultely despise themselves coz there a 12/14 (think thats an 8-10 in the US). I worked in a fashion store with women of all shapes and sizes and these girls are not fat or ugly. They actually look seriously hot in a tempest dress but a lot of men reinforce their insecurity with this crap. It just pisses me off.

You're not just talking in general, you've referred to OP several times throughout this thread which is why I jumped to her defense. She doesn't sound like she has self-esteem issues in the slightest - at least not based on anything in this thread. Yet you're shoving it down her throat over and over again that she does. That's more damaging than a subjective digit.

Moreover, reinforce their insecurity with what crap? Re-read my first point in the above post, any reinforcing of any insecurity that might take place with a number scale would take place just the same without a number scale. If you aren't thinking of a 3 as a 3 you are thinking of her as ugly. If you aren't thinking of a 5 as a 5 you are thinking of her as "okay". If you aren't thinking of an 8 as an 8 you are thinking her as "hot". What difference does any of this make? Why is the number so much worse than the word? How is the number a conspiracy to dehumanize women if the equivalent words are not? It doesn't add up.
    Last edited by dickriculous; 26-11-13 at 03:53 PM.

no you weren't. want to know what else is ugly and unattractive, back peddling. you were very clear who you were directing those replies to why i made special mention of it in my 1st post in this thread. OP( said repeatedly, that would mean joanna1 and the other was about ugly swan over and over as well) i assumed that was who you were saying was insecure because i never saw anything joanna1 said that was insecure in her 1 post so far, only asking a question to males about males in the RIGHT forum to do it in. you can think the rating scale is bollox" all you want, and find it stupid, but say it once and only once and move on don't try to abuse, or ruin someone elses innocent thread with some agenda ,everyone sees your pov on it there is no misunderstanding you going on here. i'm not ruining joanna1's thread discussing this with you again, want the last word? have it and move along.
    When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.
    William Blake

Well i mistakenly thought this thread was created by uglyswan who i was referring to as OP and you can see from her posts that she needs a confidence boost.

The number is objectifying IMO. When i think of guys rating, i think of a group of teenage boys pointing and laughing at a girl while degrading her to a 1,2,3 etc. Its immature, humiliating and even bullying. Plus your theory dont add up coz if its ugly, okay or hot then what are all those numbers in between about? Shouldnt it just be a 1, 2 or 3 if thats the case?

I dont agree with it and ive given my reasons why. Im not gonna change my mind. Like i said you could put one person in a room and ask ten different people to rate him/her and get ten different answers so its just stupid IMO.

It would be nicer to say "ya i think that person is attractive" or simply "that person is not my type". Id never put it any other way myself. I think its cruel, disrespectful and down right insulting

Re: The looks scale, how do guys rate?

Quote Originally Posted by Exeter19 View Post
    everyone sees your pov on it there is no misunderstanding you going on here. i'm not ruining joanna1's thread discussing this with you again, want the last word? have it and move along.
    I made my point and was then challenged on it or asked qs again and again which i answered.

Quote Originally Posted by michele23
    Plus your theory dont add up coz if its ugly, okay or hot then what are all those numbers in between about? Shouldnt it just be a 1, 2 or 3 if thats the case?
    Well, no because there are a lot more than just those 3 adjectives in the english language. I only gave 3 in my post above to make a point but there enough to easily match up with every number and still a lot more after that.

I dont agree with it and ive given my reasons why. Im not gonna change my mind. Like i said you could put one person in a room and ask ten different people to rate him/her and get ten different answers so its just stupid IMO.
    This is still no less true of any adjective or description you might use in place of a number, which was my point in my last reply to you

It would be nicer to say "ya i think that person is attractive" or simply "that person is not my type".
    I agree 100%. It's your conspiracy theory that I disagree with and am calling you out on.

I just feel it reinforces insecurity and women feeling like they have to change themselves.

Men havnt really changed at all in the past thousand years. Some dont even bother shaving their face or getting their hair cut and us women love you guys the way you naturally are. It annoys me that women are only considered attractive these days if they spend thousands on beauty products etc..

I know thats irrelevant to this thread but im just saying. Theres nothing wrong with being yourself and women need to stop bending over backwards to live up to these unrealistic expectations

I just feel it reinforces insecurity and women feeling like they have to change themselves.

Men havnt really changed at all in the past thousand years. Some dont even bother shaving their face or getting their hair cut and us women love you guys the way you naturally are. It annoys me that women are only considered attractive these days if they spend thousands on beauty products etc..

I know thats irrelevant to this thread but im just saying. Theres nothing wrong with being yourself and women need to stop bending over backwards to live up to these unrealistic expectations

There are a LOT of guys out there who's firsthand experience would strongly oppose the statement "us women love you guys the way you naturally are". Ask any guy that's not happening to what they think about that claim. There are also a lot of women who don't spend thousands on beauty products who still have guys throwing themselves at them so I'm not really sure where all this is coming from. Also, if women who are trying to meet what you consider to be an unrealistic beauty standard are what upsets you about this whole thing wouldn't it make more sense to point the finger at things like airbrushing and photoshopping instead of a number?
    Last edited by dickriculous; 26-11-13 at 04:34 PM.

Lol point taken but i still dont like the rating scale. I still think its cruel and pointless

Fair enough, it's not like I think the 1-10 scale is a good thing, I just can't wrap my head around some of this madness I'm hearing about it. To me the scale is just more silliness that an emotionally healthy person could easily take or leave.

Yeah this conversation has gotten a little silly. Some people look better than others. Really, that's it. That's what the scale is about.

I like your contributions to the forum Michelle, but this whole "we women accept guys exactly how they are but guys want supermodels" line of thinking is ridiculous. It's also false.

As a dude who has been rejected more times than I can count because (and the women told me this) I wasn't physically up to snuff, you're not going to get much sympathy from me (or any men) for women who think they have it so badly because rich male models aren't asking them on dates.

Life isn't fair. And one of the ways it isn't fair is that a minority of people are hot, and the rest are average looking or worse.

If a woman is emotionally crippled by the fact that some men think she's not good looking, she needs to see a therapist.

Page 4 of 13 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast