+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Girlfriends dad has cancer. i was going to break up before i found out. now confused

Girlfriends dad has cancer. i was going to break up before i found out. now confused

the last few months i have wanted to break up with my girlfriend of 3 years. i love travelling and she is happy working and staying in england and to have a career. i had planned on going travelling from october. i had been putting off breaking up with her out of cowardice. however a few weeks ago she found out her dad has cancer. were still not too sure of his chances of survival are. i was waiting to see what the story was before i travelled but was given an ultimatum. if i go travelling she will break up with me. i love travelling and would choose it over her but now that his dad is sick i dont know what to do.

Do you feel more atracted to her because if this drama?
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

What you should do is pretty ****ing obvious. Go traveling, then she will break up with you, and you don't have to be the bad guy which is why you've put it off for so long anyway. This is the perfect situation for you.

no i dont i feel less attracted to her because i feel trapped. but i care so much for her..dont know what to do

Yes, you do know what you want to do. You said you've been wanting to break up for months but were a coward..and still are.

Why do you feel trapped? You want to go travel, and you want to break up with her. That seems to be the route to go, don't you think?

Break up with her, but let her down gently... And make sure she knows that she can lean on you as a friend if need be.

Then, you can travel.

Explain maturely that your heart is set on traveling and that if she can't stay with you during your adventures that you understand. Let her know that you will be there for her as a friend during her tough time regardless of the outcome of your relationship.