+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How to Save - What is the best Way..?

How to Save - What is the best Way..?

I am struggling to save, My boyfriend want to move out, and im slowing the process down.....

What are easy ways to save.?

I need to save $6,000 by May 2014

Start a change jar. If you have a large gallon jug, just fill it with whatever spare change is left over after you break a dollar. In the end, if you get a bunch of those going at once, it'll add up to a lot when you sit down and count it out. We have a Folger's plastic coffee jug at my house, and we just kept compiling the change in it and even adding the occasional dollar here and there. In the end, we topped out at almost five hundred dollars in savings just in change and all.

Another tip is not to go out a lot or order a lot of takeout. Buy food that's on sale at the local market and not name brand. Buy the most cost-effective food that you can. Ever see those large packs of noodles with ramen noodles that are 69 cents a pack? Get those.

Learn how to change your own oil on your car among other maintenance. This can save you a boatload of money. But also consolidate the number of trips in a car you make. If there's somewhere within two miles that you can walk to, walk. This will prolong the time until you need to refuel, therefore saving you money.

You can also save on electricity by getting one of those $1 night lights at the local discount store and using that in your kitchen/hall/etc etc at night in place of always using overheads when you walk into another room. Believe it or not, some power companies charge 75 cents JUST to turn on a 65 watt bulb. Then you figure in the cost you have to pay to keep that bulb running until you turn off the light. With the night light, it's a 4 watt bulb, so it's smaller. By turning it on and leaving it on, you're saving money because you don't have to pay the outrageous charge JUST to turn on the light and keep it going. It costs a hell of a lot less to run the night light.

Consolidate your loads of laundry. If you usually fill your washer half-full of clothes, go 3/4 full of clothes. This will cut out at least one load of laundry you have to do. And you can save even more if you rig a clothesline. It doesn't take much to make a clothesline; all you need is a bit of rope and a place to string it from.

When you finally move, don't buy luggage or boxes. Instead, take a look around your local market to see if they have any empty boxes they're not using (Ask the workers if you're unsure), and if all else fails, use trash bags. Figure a box of large black trash bags goes for a lot less than a Samsonite or a Travel Buddy, and you have more room in them.

That's all I can think of right now off the top of my head... If I think of anything else, I'll let you know.

Do a budget first of all. Cut out all no essentials . Cable TV is the biggest most people have

Stop spending. Works good for me

Agreeing with surfhb2. Cable TV isn't that common in Australia, so you probably don't have it. Don't smoke. Reduce spending on alcohol. Don't buy non-essential clothes and learn to love charity stores and flea markets. Learn to cook from scratch: pre-prepared sauces and meals cost way more than starting from scratch. If you both have cars, sell one and share the other.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

yeh everything you said basilandtyme is exactly what i do...... I don't drive so don't gotta worry about those expenses....

I pay 255.00 p/w rent....

In the new year will be knuckly down ......

Why not try to start now? 6 grand is A LOT of money to save in only a few months time...the sooner the better.

Don't eat out as much, or get take out, can make cheaper meals at home, drink water more too. Try walking places more if possible to save on gasing up. Just give nice cards for christmas, say it is a no present year and explain why, same for bdays too. Decide when going to buy something do I need this or do I just want it, if just want it, don't purchase it.

Get a second part time job for the holidays....a lot of businesses are always looking for extra help.

Find extra activities that may bring in extra income. Offer services to friends, offer snow removal, house cleaning, anything to earn an extra buck!