+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Oral Sedation?

Oral Sedation?

I go to the dentist on the regular basis and I was told that I had to have my four wisdom teeth pulled. I am so nervous. The dentist said he that could numb me but my friend told me that I should get referred to an oral surgeon so that the dentist sedate me and put me to sleep. I am so nervous. Has anyone had their wisdom teeth pulled, and if so is best that you be put to sleep? Are you sure I wont feel anything? My friend said that I wont and when I wake up, it will be like I was completely out and wont have a recollection of anything. Has anyone else went through this? I am nervous as hell.

I had mine pulled by an oral surgeon. Definitely go the sedation route. I didn't feel anything immediately after, and the percocet was fine for the soreness.

This ^^^.I have too. I can't tolerate pain. You won't feel a thing and they'll give you meds for pain after. My mom had to walk me to the car. Normally they'll tell you to bring someone with you. I was out of it. Definitely go for the sedation.
    Last edited by Starnique; 17-12-13 at 08:06 AM.

Yeah, nitrous is the shit.

When I had a wisdom tooth pulled the dentist (which was also an oral surgeon) performed local sedation, which means that I was conscious during the operation but didn't feel a thing because they had numbed the concerned area in my mouth. First of all the nurse rubbed a numbing paste on my gums and inner cheek, then the dentist injected me with sedative all around the tooth. They gave me painkillers immediately after the operation because the pain would have been really intense otherwise. I had to keep taking painkillers for about 2 days due to the prolonged pain, plus I applied ice on my cheek for about 4 days and I couldn't eat anything that I would have had to chew on for about 7 days. They also told me to have someone drive me home after the operation. Oh, also, my cheek got really swollen the day after the operation and it stayed that way for about 3 days, then it got progressively better. The dentist removed my stitches 14 days after the operation (the normal time is a week but they decided it was better to wait another week because it took me a bit longer to heal). When they removed my stitches I had healed completely and I haven't had a problem since :-).

I will add that I did feel some pain during the operation. They were very attentive and they stopped immediately as soon as I gestured them to, and they injected another dose of sedative in my gums so that I couldn't feel anything after that, apart from some discomfort.
    Last edited by searock; 17-12-13 at 10:49 AM.

I had mine pulled by a regular-old dentist with novocaine. No biggie.

Nitrous makes it an enjoyable experience.

I don't really know the difference between dentist and oral surgeon actually XD I just know that in my country there are some dentists that can do surgical procedures and some that can't...

Dentists normally do general dentistry while oral surgeons can do more advanced procedures. Either way, I'd rather be knocked completely out. I don't want to feel pulling or pressure or anything. I'd rather be null and void.

I actually found it quite interesting to be awake during the procedure, it was messy and bloody and very uncomfortable and I hope I won't have to do it again, but I'm glad I got to experience it once XD.

OP, if you have to remove all four of your wisdom teeth in one procedure, then maybe complete sedation is best.

Oh by the way, the tooth I removed had not "emerged", that's why they had to cut the gum open.

Quote Originally Posted by searock View Post
    I don't really know the difference between dentist and oral surgeon actually XD I just know that in my country there are some dentists that can do surgical procedures and some that can't...
    that would be the difference.

I was awake for mine and he had to cut down some of my jaw lol. He (the dentist) did one side one week and did the other the following week. I went to work the following day with very little swelling. Getting knocked out can make you very sick and recovery takes longer...the swelling is more intense. Oh and I was eating about an hour afterwards....easy peasy.

The NOS relaxed me so I slept through most of it. 20 mins per side.

Mmmmmm sweet whippets..

In college we had a delivery service called Midnight Munchies. They delivered nitrous tanks, blunts, papers, lunchables, and snacks from 8pm-4am, and did not have an actual storefront.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartIsAching View Post
    that would be the difference.
    Okay, so it's the same in the US :-).

We only had dial a bottle...cab would do home delivery, but just beer. But when yer only 16 it was ideal.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast