+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Epiphany moment!

Epiphany moment!

Yesterday these two blokes stopped me on the street to try and get my to sign up to this charity. Im poor right now so said no but during this chat I had an epiphany. Like omfg this is what I should be doing!!

I have always wanted to do psychology/social care/social work.. and I forgot this dream thinking it was impossible with lack of finances etc and just kinda settled saying ill work my way up in the world in a different field but I feel so unfulfilled, like theres a huge gap in my life. I have not been really happy for like 3 years!!

So I need to stop chasing the rat race. I need to do something that actually makes me happy. But where to start?

Im thinking of doing some charity work right now and then trying to get a job in a creche or something. Do my degree and go from there? Any tips/advice?

Thanks guys xx
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

You could sit with charity buckets in Asda lol.

If seriously get in touch with people who work in charity already. Ask them about the job and so on. It would be easy to get there this way.

I find these videos helpful

youtube.com/watch?v=-hIKmczGsNk
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

Thanks pc. Yes I am serious. Its what I have always wanted but I pushed it to one side coz I just thought I cant afford it. But I know if I try, I can get there. I should have went and did it 3 years ago. It just seemed so far out of my reach and at the time I hated struggling. Being a student is hard but I can do it part time

You should have do a job you love and that keeps you motivated and learning/growing then you can feel proud and happy with what you do. Never too late, go for it now, don't waste another second, just go for it.

You remind me of a friend of mine. Every week she's going to be or do something else. Why don't you just go pick something and actually finish it rather then doing lots of things half way and then getting disappointed n yourself when you don't get picked for the job you find appealing ~ That Week?

Go and talk to a career coach or a life coach or a employment agency and sit down with them. They'll go over your resume and suggest things that will suit your capacity to do. Going on a whim isn't going to get you what you want.

In this instance, do what PC has suggested and talk to the HR department of the charity you wish to be involved in. They'll let you know immediately if you qualify whether they have any openings for you (or would want you just to volunteer) and if you would be a good candidate for anything they have open at the moment.

Bottomline: Work on a goal that leads in one direction instead of being all over the place. Get the coaching/councelling from someone who can help you settle your mind on what you want to do.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

I'll add that you should also go to your local Uni and talk to someone about student loans and see what you have to do in order to be accepted to the department you wish to get your degree in. Start there and see if your current goal is feasible.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Thanks WU. I am all over the place. I really cant decide and just feel lost. I know what would make me happy but right now I need to work and it was the same 3 years ago. I just needed a job, any job to survive and then tried a plan B (my HR course) but ive no experience in that area. Its so frustrating.

My family were soo pissed off when I went for a trainee position and they tell me I need more experience. Why call it trainee then if they actually want someone whos had a lifetime of experience. You have to start somewhere. Im just sick of it

Quote Originally Posted by michelle23 View Post
    Thanks WU. I am all over the place. I really cant decide and just feel lost. I know what would make me happy but right now I need to work and it was the same 3 years ago. I just needed a job, any job to survive and then tried a plan B (my HR course) but ive no experience in that area. Its so frustrating.

My family were soo pissed off when I went for a trainee position and they tell me I need more experience. Why call it trainee then if they actually want someone whos had a lifetime of experience. You have to start somewhere. Im just sick of it
    I believe what they meant by that is that they were offering a trainee position in their firm but are actually looking for candidates that have had some schooling or actual hands on experience doing the job they are offering. They are'nt necessarily wanting a "lifetime" of experience but rather some experience in the particular field.

Don't even look at the want ads that are to do with something that you've never done. I think that is just a waste of everyone's time. Especially in a downturned economy. Just look at jobs that you know how to do, that will help you with financing your training and education in your chosen career path and then get that training and education out of the way. You have to start by knowing what your goal actually is and then striving to accomplish that goal.

Good luck. Get some coaching/professional help on how to proceed. First set the goal.