+ Follow This Topic

Thread: to Tell or Not to Tell, and When? (ADHD)

to Tell or Not to Tell, and When? (ADHD)

So, I was diagnosed with ADHD recently, moderate-to-severe in degree, with hyperactivity.

And I know many people here will probably disregard this as something not worth even discussing, a "child-" "non-serious" condition,
    but seriously, in my case it does affect my life, I have all the symptoms associated with ADHD and they do show.

And things like my constant need to do something new and exciting (especially) and other features, show a lot when I meet someone for the first time (I guess in this case it is especially evident because those who already know me are more-or-less used to these features in me).

So, oftentimes, it feels so much easier and more right to answer another comment with: "Well, I have ADHD.."
    ..And it would be a better and more useful explanation too, rather than trying to come up with something separate each time.

And don't get me wrong, I'm not talking about excuses, I'm talking about giving a reason when someone wonders.

Also, I am not talking about whether or not to tell I have adhd EVER (I believe it is important especially in my case to eventually let the other person know).

My question concerns When, and Whether or not it is appropriate on the first few occasions that you see either a potential friend (female) or a guy. (when neither of us knows the other that well already).

On one hand, yes, telling them I have ADHD soon after I meet them would explain so much at once (plus, some remarks almost ask for it : )

But on the other hand, you aren't supposed to "spill your guts" on the first few occasions that you meet someone.
    There is a difference between honesty and over-disclosure.
    When the person doesn't know you that much he/she doesn't have enough positive information about you to make up for the less positive information, so it may turn them off, and not because they are a bad person.

So I have two questions:

1) When/at which point would you tell someone that you have ADHD?
    and also
    2) How much of a bad news for you would ADHD diagnosis be in someone you are only getting to know (who you are not madly in love with, but having some interest towards) (or even just as a friend). I would appreciate honesty for this answer.

Thank You!
    Last edited by Fjortis; 25-12-13 at 11:26 PM.

There is no such thing as ADHD. It is a contrived disorder invented by big pharma. It is one of the biggest drug and quack psychiatry scams of all time, and millions have fallen for it while doing permenant brain damage to their children by forcing them to take the Ritalin. ADHD along with a great many other so-called 'disorders' are the purest fantasies. Once again, I'll repeat, there is no such thing as ADHD, or ADD.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-441304/The-great-ADHD-myth.html

Thank You for the reply, not sure I agree that ADHD doesn't exist (especially having my own life as example, and the tremendous difference that medication makes for me), but thank you anyway!

Quote Originally Posted by Fjortis View Post
    Thank You for the reply, not sure I agree that ADHD doesn't exist (especially having my own life as example, and the tremendous difference that medication makes for me), but thank you anyway!
    I am aware that you will probably not agree. If there is any empty trend, any momentary snake oil sailsman who gets enough advertising and mocked up praise, any falsehood or hypochondriac affliction that can be obsessed about, a woman will usually fall for it without a blink.

Women believe what they see on TV and hear in public schools and universities without question. Big pharma knows this. And that is why most drugs are marketed to either women or their children.

You could literally invent 10 disorders that do not exist tomorrow and provide some toxin wrapped up as the cure and a majority of women would buy it. They are creatures nearly devoid of any concept of discernment.

I have told you the truth. What you do with it is up to you.
    Last edited by anastasis; 25-12-13 at 11:39 PM.

I am aware that you will probably not agree. If there is any empty trend, any momentary snake oil sailsman who gets enough advertising and mocked up praise, any falsehood or hypochondriac affliction that can be obsessed about, a woman will usually fall for it without a blink.

Women believe what they see on TV and hear in public schools and universities without question. Big pharma knows this. And that is why most drugs are marketed to either women or their children.

You could literally invent 10 disorders that do not exist tomorrow and provide some toxin wrapped up as the cure and a majority of women would buy it. They are creatures nearly devoid of any concept of discernment.

I have told you the truth. What you do with it is up to you.
    Why are you emphasizing women though, that they accept everything without question and fall for everything without a blink? Do you also believe that women are less intelligent and critical then?

Why are you emphasizing women though, that they accept everything without question and fall for everything without a blink? DO you also believe that women are less intelligent and critical then?
    Women and men are not comparable. It is like asking whether treble clef and bass clef are equal or the same. It is like asking whether the sun and moon are equal or the same. Their forumlas are not even the same, nor are they equal. It is like comparing a circle to a point.
    Last edited by anastasis; 25-12-13 at 11:53 PM.

Women and men are not comparable. It is like asking whether trebble clef and bass clef are equal. It is like asking whether the sun and moon are equal. Their forumlas are not even the same. It is like comparing a circle to a point

I think you are confusing "EQUAL" with "THE SAME" yes, they are EQUAL actually, and the trebble chef and bass chef are also equal, and point and circle are equal. But they are not The Same. Saying that women are dumber than men, that only women accept everything without question means more than just that they, or "their formulas" are Different though. It implies one is worse / more deficient than the other.

I think you are confusing "EQUAL" with "THE SAME" yes, they are EQUAL actually, and the trebble chef and bass chef are also equal, and point and circle are equal. But they are not The Same. Saying that women are dumber than men, that only women accept everything without question means more than just that they or "their formulas" are different though. It implies one is worse / more deficient than the other.
    No. I think you are confusing equal with the same. The only thing equal about men and women from a purely historic-materialist point of view is that they comprise the human race. Other than that, there is little that is equal and even less that is the same as pertaining to their formulas.

To state that men and women are 'inherently' of equal 'value' may be true. But when we enter such a discussion, we have transcended historic-materialism and entered into metaphysical concepts of 'worth'. If one does not believe in a transcendent soul or self, then one cannot possibly believe that men and women are of equal worth and value, because in pure historic-materialism, there are no such concepts. When we come to a discussion of 'equality' and 'value', we have entered into the epistemology of morality and judgement, which belong solely to the fields of theological and metaphysical ethics.
    Last edited by anastasis; 26-12-13 at 12:05 AM.

I think you should be honest if you are dating the person. Its better that they know sooner rather than later.
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

First - ADHD is not a communicable thing, meaning that unlike STD, the flu, or common cold - he is not gonna catch it no matter how "intimate" you get.

Second - ADHD is, as anastasis said, just a scam created by the pharmaceutical companies. They try to label EVERY child or young adult as such. Kids are energetic, they have short attention spans, etc... it is called "Being young".

Third - no good can come from telling someone of your diagnosed ailments UNLESS we are talking about something that will effect the partner a lot. Things like STD. Or things like say asthma where he might want to climb Mt Everest and invites you along.

Psychs and teachers have this unrealistic expectation of kids. They think kids should have the discipline level of a United States Marine.

Having ADHD is becoming trendy. It is an excuse for not paying attention, forgetting stuff, and making an ass of onesself. What young person wouldn't jump on that wagon?
    Man I tell ya, back in the 80's the big thing was AIDS except NO ONE wanted that. Today they have all these versins of A.D.D. and everyone wants it like it is going out of style.