+ Follow This Topic

Thread: They got you down to the last four

They got you down to the last four

Of your SSN.
    Yep, they can look at FB, your SSN, web history and get any recorded info they want about you.
    So then WHY is it when you try to get insurance or something, they ask all these questions?
    I am doing some insurance stuffs, my sister is helping. Long story why but I am going through some life changes that effect insurance etc. Part of it is switching car insurance (no green lizards either) And they want to know previous address, when I bought my car, my old insurance policy #...
    Shouldn't they already HAVE all that crap? I had my car since over a year ago!

This just blows me away. The conflicting stories of the world are these -

they can easily find out anything they want to know.
    They know nothing and want proof of everything.

Well god damnit, they cannot BOTH be fact.

I told my sister in an annoyed tone, "They should have all that by my DL record and SSN!"
    I don't think she wants me talking to the insurance though. I guess she thinks I will tear them a new fart hole. Big sis knows...

Who is lieing here?
    Always remember that YOU are the most important person in your world.

Call the NSA, they can tell you anything you're missing.
    "All is fair in love and war." - Francis Edward Smedley

A lot of it is verification that you are who you say you are...

You won't believe how many people steal identities in this day and age. For example, there was a story in the paper about five years ago where there was a woman who used to get a bunch of magazine subscriptions sent to her house. As you're aware, you're supposed to shred the covers of magazines when you get rid of them due to the fact the address tabs can sometimes contain vital data which can eventually be used in identity theft. Long story short, this woman didn't do that. Instead, she gave the magazines to her daughter who was strapped for cash as a single mother and stole her mother's identity to support this kid. Somehow, she got the credit card numbers linked to the accounts these magazine subscriptions were through, and I think it was from the account number being printed on the address labels. Anyway, though, that's only one instance... So, when they ask for tons of personal information, it's because they're trying to verify that you are who you say you are to cover their own asses. Because, by law, if they don't and just accept it at face value and you're living on someone's stolen identity, they can be sued in which case the rightful owner of the identity would get a shit-ton of money...

Insurance companies, much like any other company, is looking to make a profit and (ideally) follow the laws and regulations set forth by the state and the federal government. If not, the IRS would crawl up their asses with a microscope and people could even go to prison. Not to mention, their company would be bankrupt once the giant mushroom cloud of legal fees is taken care of...

So, that's why, Erin. Good luck, though.