+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Dating and Texting

Dating and Texting

I just want to gather some of your opinions here.

I've been dating a girl that I work with for about 6 weeks now. Everything seems to be going very well. Whenever I ask her out on a date I've been doing it at work face to face, or one time I've called her. I've never initiated any texting conversations minus for the couple occasions I've said "be ready for such and such time" but I've only done that as a friendly reminder.

She made a comment a few weeks ago about how I don't text her. My reply was that I don't like texting and that I was more of an in person kind of guy & that I'm just too busy to text anyways.

She has started text conversations with me on a couple occasions but all in all we don't really text. Last time she texted me was about a week ago where after work she text me "I'm glad you worked today, I have a feeling I would've had a crappy day if you hadn't "

My question to you guys is do you feel texting is at all important when dating someone? I would honestly prefer to keep it to a minimum which is why I am content with how things are with my girl. There might be a small part of me which finds it odd considering seems like everyone is attached to their phones and texting 24/7. Let me know your thoughts!

Well like it or not it's a big part of human communication now.

No need to have a conversation.....just say hello once in awhile throughout the dAy

Start sending her very long text messages and spell out every word. Actually I again, as odd as it is, agree with HB.

From a female point of view, if you really like this girl you will do whatever to make her happy....would it f uckin kill you to make a little effort to send her a few texts once in awhile, and maybe some flirting via text to make her feel good? You want her to feel good don't you? There is an expression "Happy wife, happy life." this goes the same with having a GF.
    Last edited by smackie9; 29-12-13 at 10:00 PM.

Good for you for not being glued to your phone screen like so many other people out there. If you want to text her, text her. But as long as you are communicating with her by other methods, I don't really see what she has to complain about.

I hate texting & I think the concept of a texting conversation is an oxymoron.

Saying good morning, or I'm running late or pick up milk is great via text . . . more not so much.

Keep it to a minimum. A couple a week might be OK (except when something is important like you said.)

It sounds like you are doing it right. She is wondering why you don't text much. That means she is wondering about you. Good sir, that means you have her by the short hairs. You are a challenge to her. And asking her on a date in PERSON - that is the way to do it. The one phone call asking is not bad, you know, maybe the circumstance called for it. Guys, I hope you are paying attention.

The problem with too much texting is some people want to push prospects into a new, lower place that we might call the "text buddy zone". It is worse than the "friend zone".

Some ladies will say they want a "nice guy" who texts all the time etc. Well yeah but those nice guys are getting NO p*ssy and they come to love forum to ask why...

For 3mk - just make sure you have protection ready for the day when you DO land her in bed. Oh yes you will
    Always remember that YOU are the most important person in your world.

...*gags* ...
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

My question to you guys is do you feel texting is at all important when dating someone? I would honestly prefer to keep it to a minimum which is why I am content with how things are with my girl. There might be a small part of me which finds it odd considering seems like everyone is attached to their phones and texting 24/7. Let me know your thoughts!
    The trick is to compromise somehow with her so that she's not feeling neglected in between when you're with her and when you're not. Do you phone her and talk to her on the phone once in a while?

Maybe you could just tell her what you told us and then ask her what would be a good compromise since you don't like being a slave to texting but you also want her to not be feeling ignored. It really doesn't matter what WE think or do, it's what makes You and Her happy.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

I stopped reading after you mentioned that you worked with this person.
    Just because you see this person everyday, doesn't mean you should date them.
    What if it doesn't work out ? It'll feel awkward, seeing this person all the time and what if it interferes with work ?
    It's your life, and you do whatever you want .. and texting is the least of your worries.
    Dating shouldn't involve the workplace, and sometimes the space between you both is a good thing, seeing each other once a week at the beginning is better in the long run, as you'll start missing what you have and be glad when the next time comes.
    At this stage, your probably seeing this person about 5-6 times a week ... Does that seem normal to you ?

I loved texting in the beginning. Any guy I have dated text a LOT in the getting to know each other stage and it can be a lot of fun, flirting, sharing secrets, sexting etc etc

I would be pissed at the lack of effort and wonder if your even interested in me.. and then prob get bored and move on..

me and my bf dont text now-we ring each other but for the first 3-4months we text a lot
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

Quote Originally Posted by HDBadger View Post
    Good for you for not being glued to your phone screen like so many other people out there. If you want to text her, text her. But as long as you are communicating with her by other methods, I don't really see what she has to complain about.
    I do communicate with her with other, better methods and I feel like a better person for doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by AnErin View Post
    Keep it to a minimum. A couple a week might be OK (except when something is important like you said.)

It sounds like you are doing it right. She is wondering why you don't text much. That means she is wondering about you. Good sir, that means you have her by the short hairs. You are a challenge to her. And asking her on a date in PERSON - that is the way to do it. The one phone call asking is not bad, you know, maybe the circumstance called for it. Guys, I hope you are paying attention.

The problem with too much texting is some people want to push prospects into a new, lower place that we might call the "text buddy zone". It is worse than the "friend zone".

Some ladies will say they want a "nice guy" who texts all the time etc. Well yeah but those nice guys are getting NO p*ssy and they come to love forum to ask why...

For 3mk - just make sure you have protection ready for the day when you DO land her in bed. Oh yes you will
    In the past I have been known to be much more active with texting and it has got me no where. This keeping texting to a minimum is a new approach and well here I am almost 2 months in to dating a girl and well.... things just keep working out so why do I bother to change my approach?

On a side note : I am prepared for the bed. Have not pushed it much in our 6 weeks dating but I feel like I should begin to be a little more aggressive as things are improving extremely well.

EDIT : Oh yea... Saw her today for the first time in a week. Asked her out on a date for this weekend (thankfully after the annoying New Years holiday) and she said yes so... ya let's not change my approach cuz it works.
    Last edited by 3mK; 31-12-13 at 06:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kromat83 View Post
    I stopped reading after you mentioned that you worked with this person.
    Just because you see this person everyday, doesn't mean you should date them.
    What if it doesn't work out ? It'll feel awkward, seeing this person all the time and what if it interferes with work ?
    It's your life, and you do whatever you want .. and texting is the least of your worries.
    Dating shouldn't involve the workplace, and sometimes the space between you both is a good thing, seeing each other once a week at the beginning is better in the long run, as you'll start missing what you have and be glad when the next time comes.
    At this stage, your probably seeing this person about 5-6 times a week ... Does that seem normal to you ?
    I don't get to see her every day. I just went a week without seeing her at work and also with out any contact. I was too busy with Christmas related family stuff and I know she was too.
    She is part time and I even get the impression that because the people at work have kind of figured us out (which is annoying) they have scheduled her opposite me. Whatever to that.