+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Law of Attraction In Love

Law of Attraction In Love

Hi everyone! So I just read The Secret by Rhonda Byrne and I just want to know if any of you have tried her positive-thinking-attracts-love theory and did it work for you? In her book she suggests believing, acting, and feeling that you already have the love of your life and if you do, he will arrive in your life! Has anyone here tried it and did it work? Let me know about your thoughts and experiences!

Havent tried this theory, at least not with purpoise but it works on all things in life. Arnold Swarzneger used this theory for sucsess with other things. It makes sense cause naturaly you do things that leads to result "What you do is what makes you", "To have a friend you have to be a friend". Have read about this theory in book "The power of your subconscious mind" its about neuro-linguistic programming(NLP)
    Last edited by pcmaster; 03-01-14 at 02:31 AM.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

Be careful with how much you subscribe to this, a lot of the law of attraction is total bullshit that exists for the sole purpose of making a quick buck.

What makes it so deceptive is that some of it is true, and when selling bullshit, partially true bullshit makes for the sexiest sale.

The power of positive thinking and thoughts in general are a real thing, there is absolutely no question about that. But think about the implications of what this book has told you. "In her book she suggests believing, acting, and feeling that you already have the love of your life and if you do, he will arrive in your life!" Magical summons only exist in dungeons and dragons sweetie. That's what you call sexing up a concept beyond the point of reality in order to make it sell.

There is, however, an element of truth to the notion that "you get what you focus on in life". I'll use myself as an example (the following quote is C&P'd from an old thread)

I went through a phase in my early twenties where I basically viewed all women as whores, I allowed a few shitty ones that I allowed into my life to make my views toward them one-sided and cynical. I basically saw them as good for absolutely nothing but sex, the idea of romance, love, and committing to one was a joke to me.

Now what type of women do you suppose I attracted into my world with the attitude toward them that I had? The only valid answer is exactly the ones that would reinforce my preconceptions of them.

Here's how this works. You take on an idea, any idea. In this case it's "women are reprobatory whores there for me to use". You allow this belief to become deeply ingrained into your subconscious. It gets reinforced a bit because, let's be honest, every single one of us has dealt with shitty members of the opposite sex. You hold to this belief stronger because of that. The belief becomes so deeply rooted that you begin (subconsciously) pushing anyone and anything that could undermine this belief away from you, in my case it was the good women - the ones I may have actually wanted to commit to. The belief then becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy - as my focus on that aspect of womanhood became laser-like and tunnel visioned, I drew that aspect of womanhood toward me like a magnet. The more of that aspect of womanhood I drew toward me, the more my negative preconceptions of women were reinforced and the more they were reinforced, the more I unknowingly drew myself toward the worst of what womanhood had to offer. It's a vicious cycle and it can go on forever if you let it. The decent girls I met at this point in my life were few and far between largely because of this, and even the decent ones I would nitpick for things to judge in order to reinforce my prejudice - and believe me, when you have this negative of an attitude toward a group of people it's not hard to find things about them to demonize, even the very best of them.

I would say that this is the truth behind the law of attraction. My thoughts didn't make undesirable women just walk into my life. What my thoughts did was prime my subconscious to take certain actions based on the way my thoughts were affecting my values and beliefs which magnetized myself and some less desirable members of the opposite sex. It is not enough to simply think and play pretend, you have to actually DO. Your thoughts have the potential to influence your ACTIONS in a certain way that attracts good (or bad, or grey area) fortune, that is the full extent of any truth behind the law of attraction.
    Last edited by dickriculous; 03-01-14 at 05:12 AM.
    They see indoctrination and they call it "morality", "professionalism", or "maturity" depending on the context.

You have to know what you want before you can actually attract it to you. You also have to have the confidence to go and get it once you figure out what "it" is.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

So basicaly what Dick is saying if you think about something it becomes reality. Does it have something to do with visualization too?

Thanks for the responses! I have actually tried the law of attraction when it comes to other aspects including my career and my weight goal. Both of these, I achieved, but then again, those two things only need well, ME.

At work, I just focused and became more dedicated because I have been thinking that I will advance, and just a week ago, the general manager approached me and talked about a possible promotion.

As to the weight loss, well, I guess since I've been thinking THIN THIN THIN, I actually lost some appetite and I'm now back to 110 pounds (I am going for 105 so that's 5 more pounds to go. I gained weight and became 116, and no, I'm not anorexic, I am short so 105 is within normal range of my BMI).

In love however, it is a bit more tricky because it will need the presence of another person and I just feel like, how in the world could I get that just by thinking? This is why I am asking people. Wakeupcall has a point though because I sort of don't really have a very clear idea on what I want in a partner, besides the very obvious characteristics. Maybe pcmaster's suggestion of visualization could work but I don't really know much about visualization techniques.

I have used this in past and it did wonders. Back than didnt knew any of this theory, just kinda naturaly found out that breathing deep, being relaxed, ignoring everything around and being aware of your body, trusting yourself at the same time having fate in God. It realy helped in hardest of times just realaising all those hard situtations where I made it out on my own. Realising that you are enought that everything that you need is inside of you, just have to believe and then answer comes - just take action and believe in yourself.

This is how girl explains it. I can relate to that and agree absolutly with everything.

Raising vibration

youtube.com/watch?v=KYypclyOxl0

How to solve a problem

youtube.com/watch?v=kpGqNDgr_GA

Its all just a theory. Nothing is easy. In reality it takes hard work and longterm dediaction. It takes dream in the heart and beliveing in it. As long as you believe. You wont stop and keep doing things that makes dream come true. It takes strong heart and being brave just to be able to do what feels right. Sometimes its so hard, you face exhaustion, resistance and thats when doubt starts to creep in. These are tools that helps keep going on.
    Last edited by pcmaster; 04-01-14 at 01:47 AM.

Thanks for the responses! I have actually tried the law of attraction when it comes to other aspects including my career and my weight goal. Both of these, I achieved, but then again, those two things only need well, ME.
    Finding a suitable partner only needs YOU as well. That is what you have to believe ~ That you are the master of you and your own destination and that you'll only attract to you a person that is good and kind and that if you find that the person you were pursuing and who was pursuing you isn't good and kind, you will drop them from your life immediately ~ you won't cling in hope that he will change for you. You will have the self love and confidence to know that you don't need this type of man by you and that it will be easy to leave him because the man that is good and kind and loving will indeed come to you becuase your very picker-of-men will be honed and ready.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Quote Originally Posted by pcmaster View Post
    So basicaly what Dick is saying if you think about something it becomes reality. Does it have something to do with visualization too?
    Not quite brah. Basically what I'm saying is that in terms of attracting your desires into your world, your thoughts are the driving force behind the ACTIONS necessary to bring those desires into your world. Thought is the driving force behind action, but by itself thought will not bring your desires into your world. Actions will, and the function of your thoughts is to get said actions started and continue to augment them throughout the process.

Here is a practical example. If you want to be a professional athlete, merely thinking about it all day will not get you there no matter how hard you think and wish for it, that's just common sense. Without all of the right actions to make it happen, the world's most profound visualizations and affirmations will get you exactly 0% of the way toward that goal. Your thoughts have to actually be incipient action - they have to be the driving force behind your training as if your life depended on it and living your life in a way that is congruent to achieving this goal. Then and only then can they help do so.

At the end of the day it is action that gets you what you want, and it is ONLY action. Your thoughts can either be a fortifier or a debilitator of those actions, but on no planet and in no dimension are they a substitute.
    They see indoctrination and they call it "morality", "professionalism", or "maturity" depending on the context.

gee I need to read this - A LOT
    Quote Originally Posted by Wakeup View Post
    Finding a suitable partner only needs YOU as well. That is what you have to believe ~ That you are the master of you and your own destination and that you'll only attract to you a person that is good and kind and that if you find that the person you were pursuing and who was pursuing you isn't good and kind, you will drop them from your life immediately ~ you won't cling in hope that he will change for you. You will have the self love and confidence to know that you don't need this type of man by you and that it will be easy to leave him because the man that is good and kind and loving will indeed come to you becuase your very picker-of-men will be honed and ready.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I think the Secret is bunk, as far as a Law of Attraction. Awesome marketing to the desperate. The Universe doesn't give a rats ass about you or anything.

I do believe that positive thinking brings positive results. That's just simple selection; positive people tend to like being around other positive people. I suppose it depends how you define things.

Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh