+ Follow This Topic

Thread: organizing a facilitated intervention

organizing a facilitated intervention

I've known for a while that a dear friend has an alcohol problem but she was functional. Our whole social circle just sort of puts up with it & to some extent we probably all enable her because as a group we always seem to have alcohol around.

Her whole immediate family is in recovery. She's in denial.

Years ago her mother asked me if we should organize an intervention. At that point things were that bad. They have since gotten worse -- she's drinking when she wakes up, & sneaking airplane bottles of booze everywhere.

I think an intervention is now in order. I called her mom but haven't heard back from her yet . . . we haven't talked. My husband wants me to stay out of it but I can't. This woman is a like a sister to me. Growing up when her parents built an extension on their house, they built me my own room; I'm serious.

Has anybody ever participated in an organized intervention? What does it cost? What's it like? I don't think it will be effective without professional involvement & I think she'll need in-patient treatment to detox.

A quick google "organizing an intervention" brought of this link from the Mayo Clinic (and many others) that may be helpful, Dal.

Good luck. I hope she' listens.

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/mental-illness/in-depth/intervention/ART-20047451
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion