View Poll Results: To Prenup or To not Marry?

Voters
8. You may not vote on this poll
  • Just marry with a prenup

3 37.50%
  • Run while you can

4 50.00%
  • Compromise - but what?

2 25.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
+ Follow This Topic
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: Prenup - I prepare for marriage, he prepares for divorce

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by smackie9 View Post
    I can't say I know any woman that has been left high and dry....I have seen the opposite. I know men are left to keep the wife in the same lifestlye as when they were married. She stays in the house with the kids, most of the bills and mortagage paid by him while he lives in a basement suite eating Kraft dinner.
    things might be different in Canada, but in the U.S., that is hardly the case.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/brendan-lyle/after-divorce-women-rebou_1_b_1970733.html
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Then a prenup would be beneficial for women. They can stipulate exactly what they expect for alimony, child support, what assets to be divided, etc in the event of a divorce. May as well be up front about it and it will can be used as a guideline.

Quote Originally Posted by smackie9 View Post
    Then a prenup would be beneficial for women. They can stipulate exactly what they expect for alimony, child support, what assets to be divided, etc in the event of a divorce. May as well be up front about it and it will can be used as a guideline.
    Thats why its important for her to have her own councel. It's also important for him because many a prenups have been over-ruled by judges when it's been discovered that there was a conflict of interest when HIS lawyers were councelling Her. He's their client, not her's so in effect, she was without legal councel upon signing.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Which is totally fair I agree. I don't know why women get so up in arms about the word "prenup" when it's actually one of the best things one can do when entering a marriage, which is a legal contract in itself. It's the modern ages, lifestyle and enviroment has changed dramatically....the concept of marriage should evolve with it simple as that. People need to get their head out of their fairytale ass.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Seriously, just sign the prenup if he wants it. If he doesn't then don't. My only real argument against them is that I have a violent allergic reaction to giving any any lawyer any money. My divorce was trivial, both parties civil and it still cost a few thousand $.

I left my ex the house, btw. No prenup and a completely equitable split, tho my female friends said I should take alimony. My response? "Why? I have my own career?". "He makes more $ b/c he got to invest in his career when you stayed home." "So? I have an awesome child--I'm smart and my career is ramping up quite nicely."

So my real advice to any woman is: don't sacrifice your education to be a homemaker. At some point, you will want to get into the workforce, not as a hedge for divorce, but so you can have interests outside of the home once your kids are older. Same advice for men who stay home, btw.

My SO wants to marry. He hasn't mentioned a prenup but I'm for it. Really, when you each make each other the beneficiary of your insurance, then isn't arguing against a prenup essentially saying you are hedging your bets *against* 'till death do we part'?
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    My SO wants to marry.
    Congrats, Indi!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567