+ Follow This Topic

Thread: He says he's "falling in love with me". Do I wait for him to utter those 3 words?

He says he's "falling in love with me". Do I wait for him to utter those 3 words?

I have been in a relationship with a very, very, wonderful man for 3 months. I am absolutely smitten. We talk tons, spend lots of time together, and have very open communication. I am very grateful for him coming into my life. I'm not left wondering about anything in our relationship, except this one thing!

He's been telling me for about two weeks now that he is "falling in love with me". I am absolutely right there with him and told him just as much. The more time passes, the more sure I am. As of right now, I know for sure that I stopped "falling" and just AM in love with him.

So, the age old question -

Do I wait for him to say it, or is it acceptable to say it first?

My old school values and my gut tell me to let him say it, to let him take the reigns.

But, when I'm with him, I often feel the urge to tell him since he makes me so happy.

Opinions?

He gets shy and had a hard enough time mustering enough courage to ask me to be his girlfriend, but did, and it was a really beautiful moment. I feel like if I leave it up to him, it will be drawn out since it's hard for him to make first moves.

Don't worry about who says it first... Focus more on just enjoying the time with him. I can actually relate to this, if you don't mind hearing my story.

My now ex-boyfriend (We parted on good terms) and I shared love at one point, and going into the relationship, I told myself that if anyone was going to say those words, it would first be him. However, I just lost myself in him, and I spent more time focusing on enjoying the time I spent with him than who would say what and who would do it first... In the end, he was just holding me in his arms one night and telling me how deeply he cared for me, and I returned this. I went on and on about how all I wanted was to be with him and share true love. As soon as I said it, I paused, unable to look up at him for fear of a possible rejection, but he surprised me by telling me, "I love you too, Will." And the rest of the night, we just held each other tight and kept whispering it to one another.

Though we're not together anymore, I include this because it applies to tell you that, when the time is right, it won't matter who said what first. All that will matter is that it is said and that it's true. Because, if you focus on how nice it is being together, it will slip out of one or both of your mouths when it's meant to.. And I hope you two have better luck than Dave and I did.

Hope this helps some.

He might dress in drag and come out singing "Woman in love" by Barbara Streisand.
    If that happens, your concern should be WHO he is in love with.
    Always remember that YOU are the most important person in your world.