+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Feelings for ex coming back

Feelings for ex coming back

I feel like I should supply some back story before I ask my question. Sorry if this is lengthy, but here we go...

About 2 years ago my divorce, with who I though was the love of my life, was finalized. We had been together for over 6 years, but were not even married for a year. I don't know what happened to us. I will admit that we were probably too young to get married. She was only 20 years old and still in college. I was 23 years, out of college, and working a 9-to-5 job. I felt like, and still feel like, I was ready to settle down. Up until her 21st birthday, only a few months after we tied-the-knot, things were going fairly well for our marriage. Then her 21st birthday hit. Now she was in college and 21. Nearly every night she wanted to go out to the bars/friend's houses to drink and live it up. This was not a problem for her since she didn't have classes until 10 or 11 the next morning. However, for me, I had to be up for work at 6:30 every morning, so I could not keep pace with this partying schedule. This caused tension between us. She would get mad at me for not being able to go out with her and her friends, and I would get mad because she was never around to spend time with me. Now I want to make this clear. I had no problems with her going out with friends during those nights that I couldn't, but her being gone nearly every week night was a little much. It wasn't a trust issue, rather, it was a you never spend time with me issue. Anyway, this escalated until one day she told me she wanted out. This happened just 6 months after our wedding. I'll admit our marriage was not a healthy one at this point, but nothing I wasn't willing to work on. She, on the other hand, did not want to even attempt to salvage the relationship. It was over and that was it. Six plus years down the drain. Like I said before, this happened about 2 years ago. Looking back, I know we probably were not meant to be. I am in a new relationship now that is much healthier. I thought I had moved from her...

Finally, here is my question/concern...

Lately, I have been having a reoccurring dream. In the dream she comes back and wants to give our relationship another try. This creates a dilemma, even in my dream, because I am with someone new. In the dream I never make a decision on what I do. I wake up confused and worried. I think to myself, "What if this really does happen? What will I do?"

I feel my new relationship is going great. I am extremely happy with her and want to continue moving forward with her. These dreams/feelings that have come up recently make me hesitant. Does this mean I am still hung up on my ex? Is it fair to my new relationship if I am having these feelings? I don't know if this is normal. I don't know how to handle this. Any advice or help would be appreciated.

Thank you

Perhaps the dream is telling you that you need to get a little more decisive with yourself.

So, what if the dream came true? What decision would you make?
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

I would like to think I would choose my current relationship. But saying that and doing that are two different things. We don't know how we handle certain situations until we are in them. I know the right decision would be to deny my ex. We were not a good fit. Why is it that when you look back at old relationships you only remember the good things, though?

Seems to me you've still got some feelings to deal with.

It's just a dream.... And this is a duplicate thread.