+ Follow This Topic

Thread: In Love with a Friend

In Love with a Friend

So this is my first post and I joined specifically to get advice about this. I am a 17 year old guy in my final year of sixth form. That's A-levels if you don't know. There is a girl in my year that I think I am in love with. I think about her all the time and I have never liked someone like this before nor have I ever been in a relationship. She is beautiful, smart, funny and one of the kindest people I have ever met. She does a lot of long distance running for charity such as race for life and others. I'm not good at parties, i often find myself just standing against a wall talking to my best friend but at her 18th birthday party, even though she was a little drunk and busy having a great time and surrounded by much better company than me she still came over to make sure I was ok and enjoying myself. I know that's just her being a good friend, but I can tell she does care for me, just not in the same way. I have felt this way about her for over half a year. I find myself doing things I would never normally do for her, like hosting a party on New Years Eve! Thing is though I can think of a lot of reasons to not do anything about it.
    1. We're friends.
    2. She's way out of my league.
    3. We are both leaving to go to University soon, far away from each other.
    4. I know that my best friend has a crush on her. (I literally found out the day after I realised my own feelings for her)
    5. I'm not good enough for her. I'm shy, socially awkward, not good looking and I'm pretty sure I suffer from clinical depression. I know I would treat her like she deserves though.
    6. She has much more in common and much better chemistry with said best friend.
    7. I can tell from her body language she does not reciprocate my feelings.
    All these are stopping me from doing anything about it. I really want to just move on and get over it but I can't. Any advice?
    Last edited by Browncoat11; 23-01-14 at 07:26 PM.

Yes move on absolutley. Don't worry, you will be surrounded by available women when you get to uni that would love to hook up with you. Once you are away from her, you will start to forget about those feelings, but you have to work really heard to make this work.