+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Valentine’s Day

Valentine’s Day

Hi, I am thinking of creating my own business of personal event, specialized in Romantic events. This is at VERY early stage and right now I’m thinking of ideas for Valentine’s day.

What are you planning on doing or what have you done in the past?

Thanks,

Well, usually, I stuff my fat face full of ice cream, watch sappy old movies, and wonder why a day that singles out everyone who doesn't have a special someone in their lives exists...

Oh, and I call it Singles Awareness Day.

"Single Awareness Day". Humm... Maybe that's a day where you need to gather your single female friends and buy each other flowers and chocolate ;-)

lol That kinda defeats the purpose with me being gay.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowen View Post
    Well, usually, I stuff my fat face full of ice cream, watch sappy old movies, and wonder why a day that singles out everyone who doesn't have a special someone in their lives exists...

Oh, and I call it Singles Awareness Day.
    Personally, I've always figured that a day that requires one to be romantic cancels out the romanticism via requirement. How much can it mean if you do it on the day you're supposed to?

Agreed. But I was really into it when I was a teen....sadly none of us had much in the way of disposable funds back then
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

I love Valentines day! Gives me an excuse to treat myself to something nice. Nobody will love me more than I love myself.
    A strong woman takes advantage of help she can get from people around her but she doesn't rely on them for anything

She uses logic and manages her emotions

She offers help either because it is a business transaction or out of kindness. It is never because she hopes others will return the favour or out of fear of losing them

She has her own mind and thinks for herself and knows that she has to be the one who bears the consequences of her decisions

nothing for v-day. if dating i give flowers and take out to dinner/movie or whatever else they'd like to do. i don't like being told be romantic on a day not special to the person i love like say their bday would be.
    When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.
    William Blake

Quote Originally Posted by HeartIsAching View Post
    Personally, I've always figured that a day that requires one to be romantic cancels out the romanticism via requirement. How much can it mean if you do it on the day you're supposed to?
    You're exactly right that it does, and it's a bit sickening to see what people do. Not to mention, it's ironic given the fact that it's historically commemorating the martyr who was burned to death. :S That's what I learned in World Cultures in high school, at least.

Don't get me wrong; I guess it /might/ be semi-fun to go out to maybe a Friday's or an Applebee's (something average and not too classy) with someone special and just sit there the entire time joking about the ridiculous Valentine's Day stories on the radio and the sappy crap we see in the restaurant around us... But the days just over-rated as a whole. I need a life. haha

Quote Originally Posted by Rowen View Post
    You're exactly right that it does, and it's a bit sickening to see what people do. Not to mention, it's ironic given the fact that it's historically commemorating the martyr who was burned to death. :S That's what I learned in World Cultures in high school, at least.

Don't get me wrong; I guess it /might/ be semi-fun to go out to maybe a Friday's or an Applebee's (something average and not too classy) with someone special and just sit there the entire time joking about the ridiculous Valentine's Day stories on the radio and the sappy crap we see in the restaurant around us... But the days just over-rated as a whole. I need a life. haha
    Heh... hell no.

Wife gets a card. She knows my views on the Hallmark Holiday, and is the first one to EVER get a Valentine's Day card from me... and she knows that too.

I demonstrate my love daily. I don't need a ****ing special day to show it.

*little story*

Years ago, my ex was away on a business trip for a week. I spent a week on the couch snuggling with the cat. Last two days, I cleaned the ever-loving-shit out of the house, and on the day she was coming home, I went to the store and bought a bouquet of flowers to welcome her home. While in line at the store, two ladies behind me started harassing me about what I must've done wrong because I was buying flowers. I turned around and told 'em "No, I'm buying them because I felt like it. She's been gone for a few days and I wanted to welcome her home." They said "Oh, you must go ALL OUT for Valentine's Day!"

I said "No, I don't do anything for Valentine's Day. It's meaningless to do it on the day you're required to."

They said (I'm not joking here) "Well, then I hope you do things other times of the year when you feel it"...

To which I could only gesture at the flowers I was buying.

I hate Valentine's Day.

too funny HIA
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Hahaha We obviously know what those two women expect in relationships.

My whole thing is that while I agree that it's nice to just do something nice for the sake of being nice in a relationship, some of the people get a bit ridiculous on Valentine's Day. I never had a boyfriend on Valentine's Day, but even if I did, I wouldn't really want to do anything special for it except what we would normally do. If it's from the heart like your gesture was, it's more valuable, I agree.

Every year, the radio station I listen to back home (And one of the horrible things about Jersey is I can't listen to it anymore lol) runs these funny news stories about people trying to out-do themselves on the holiday and failing miserably. (This is also the radio station that gives away a free divorce on that day too, mind you.) For instance, the one news story focused on a guy that wanted to surprise his fiance after work by being on the bed of her home. But he thought it would be romantic to light up a bunch of candles and put little cut-out paper hearts around the room. And, I guess she was stuck in traffic coming home or something, and he fell asleep. These candles, meanwhile, ended up starting a fire in her bedroom which did a good deal of damage to the house. It's ridiculous (and true, sadly) stories like that which add a little excitement to it.

*shrugs* That's just me. haha

I like Valentines day. It's not something I sit around and be sad about it if I don't have a date because last year, I didn't have one. I was at bad odds with the EX so it didn't happen. He liked valentines day. He used to send me flowers and candy and shit like that to the office back in the day.

I actually prefer the basic things. I want him to take me out on a date and then later, I'll put on some lingerie, light some candles, put the massage oil to use and rub his body down. Have some henney chillin' on ice. Having some soft, sex music in the background. Probably R-Kelly because he knows how to get juices flowing or a nice mixed cd, whatever. I might dance for him. I'll be freaking it too lmao. Yes, I know it seems cliché but you would be surprised. A man would love being a part of that. Watch how he smile when you dance for him and try to feel on you. Dance to body party by Ciara or Drunk in Love by Beyoncé. He'll like it and feel Very special.

Ok, so in one occasion the house caught fire. That’s a fail, but fails don’t mean that people should just give up because things can go wrong…

Starnique, there is nothing wrong with clichés. They’re “cliché” for a reason: they work! And it’s nice to take the time to have quality time in a relationship. On Valentine’s day or not.

I get that Valentine’s day can be sickening and totally cheesy. But I don’t understand that people chose to completely ignore it based on the fact that it is commercial. Of course it is commercial. People/companies want to make money and there will always be something to sell for any celebration. But people chose to purchase them or not. So if it bothers you, just don’t buy it.

If you don’t like the commercial aspect of it but your GF expects something material, that’s where the problem is. The partners have similar views…

To me, it’s a reminder/celebration and I like to make a SPECIAL EFFORT. It can be just bringing breakfast in bed and spending the day/evening together doing something that we both enjoy. Of course people should not need Valentine’s Day to do this. But let’s be realistic. It’s a bit like the New Year’s resolution. It’s always good to have a set date to remind us to make an effort…

Ok, so in one occasion the house caught fire. That’s a fail, but fails don’t mean that people should just give up because things can go wrong…

Starnique, there is nothing wrong with clichés. They’re “cliché” for a reason: they work! And it’s nice to take the time to have quality time in a relationship. On Valentine’s day or not.

I get that Valentine’s day can be sickening and totally cheesy. But I don’t understand that people chose to completely ignore it based on the fact that it is commercial. Of course it is commercial. People/companies want to make money and there will always be something to sell for any celebration. But people chose to purchase them or not. So if it bothers you, just don’t buy it.

If you don’t like the commercial aspect of it but your GF expects something material, that’s where the problem is. The partners don't have similar views…

To me, it’s a reminder/celebration and I like to make a SPECIAL EFFORT. It can be just bringing breakfast in bed and spending the day/evening together doing something that we both enjoy. Of course people should not need Valentine’s Day to do this. But let’s be realistic. It’s a bit like the New Year’s resolution. It’s always good to have a set date to remind us to make an effort…

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast