+ Follow This Topic

Thread: What to go to college for?

What to go to college for?

Hi guys, so I'm 20 years old female and need to go to school. I've been broke for 3 years. No one will hire me so I figure school is the best 2nd option. Problem is, after all these years to think, I still don't know what to go for!

First of all money is important to me. I need to make enough to at least be able to buy a house in a nice neighborhood, pay bills, and be able to buy my baby daughter things she needs and eventually will want. I'm having relationship troubles at the moment so let's just assume Ill be a single mom.

I've dabbled in web and graphic design. I've done a few websites for people and got paid (very little) for it. I like it but heard it's very competitive so I'm not sure I want to waste years going to school for that only to not make enough money to survive.

Subjects and things I absolutely love are English reading & writing, certain sciences like biology, space, working with animals, insects, reptiles, fish, history about ancient times like "cavemen", early mammals, and dinosaurs.

Subjects I'm bad at and don't like are all the maths, chemistry, finances, etc.

I also would like to pursue degrees, certificates, and licenses that take a short time to attain. I'd like to go to school for many different things that interest me so that if I wanted to I could switch up careers or if I got laid off I'd have another license or degree to get a job totally elsewhere. I'm not too interested in going to school for 8 years just for one big degree, but I will if I take interest enough in something.

Once I'm taught something and thoroughly understand it I prefer to work alone, but I can do groups too.

What about zoology? There is no point hopping from one certificate to the next-you will be under qualified in each field and have no experience so nobody will hire you.

If you are good at web and graphic design then go for it. The best advertising is word of mouth. It wont happen over night but over time, 12-24 months, you could build up a solid client base who will keep recommending you. You can use facebook, twitter, linked in etc as free advertising and hand out flyers (which are cheap) everywhere to start you off. Build up a portfolio and a reputation slowly. Every business in competitive. That is half the beauty-competition keeps you on your toes, it makes sure you don't get lazy. It keeps you committed and ensures you are one step ahead if you are always aware of it so don't fear it-embrace it and use it as a motivation tool

When business owners get too cocky or feel too safe=that is when they fail. My old company were set in their ways-refused change so the competition caught up, passed them out and half their stores closed in the past 12 months so keep that in mind.
    Last edited by michelle23; 05-02-14 at 01:37 AM.
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

If you hate maths, physics and chemistry, then you won't like biology or "space". Unfortunately your interests don't seem to be the most appropriate in terms of getting a job. So let's focus on the things you really love: how about archeology? Or zoology, as michelle said? Would you like to become a vet? I also agree with michelle about the fact that you should focus only on one thing at a time. Become an expert in the field you choose, rather than a "false expert" in many different fields. Pick something that you really, passionately love, something that you can see yourself doing for the rest of your life.

Quote Originally Posted by searock View Post
    Pick something that you really, passionately love, something that you can see yourself doing for the rest of your life.
    This. ^

Unfortunately, it might seem impossible to figure that out. The only thing you have your mind on is your daughter, and it probably feels like you'll do anything to be able to provide for her.

As far as web design goes, I can tell you that it absolutely is not saturated. You wouldn't believe how much work there is to go around. Check out dribbble.com - if you can go to school and end up being that good, it'll prove to be quite lucrative.

College and University's only real value comes from the point of view of being an employee or building a job around yourself.

you should study law

Quote Originally Posted by loveagent3 View Post
    you should study law
    Wow. Looks like you've read her post and come up with exactly the kind of thing she doesn't want to do. Also, if she's broke, how is she going to pay for a Law Degree?

- - - Updated - - -

You mention the subjects you love, but you don't say how well you did in those subjects when you graduated High School. Like it or not, a lot of your choice will depend on whether or not you're an academic type.

I suggest you talk to the college's career adviser. Find out what courses your High School results would give you access to. Work out what jobs you'd enjoy doing. And try and choose a subject where there is plenty of work. No sense getting a degree and not being able to get a job.
    Last edited by basilandthyme; 26-02-14 at 10:48 PM.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.