0. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes that is the best option for both people

0 0%
  • No we should just break up

0 0%
  • I am doing the wrong thing either way

0 0%
+ Follow This Topic

Thread: I'm going on exchange what should I do??

I'm going on exchange what should I do??

Me and my girlfriend have been together for 2 years now, I have made the decision to go on exchange to Canada for 6 months. During this time I wanted to break up, then when I come back if we are both single and willing we could get back together and start again. It's about 6 months until I go onto this exchange and because I didn't want to just spring it onto her I brought my thoughts up. Of course she was not happy but we talked through it and and are still together now, BUT she does not want to break up and wants to stay together, I said while I was over there I want to have freedom and have fun, which would include going to clubs and dancing with girls and whatever that leads to... I don't want to cheat on her, I love my girlfriend and our relationship is great, but I want to live the college life (I don't want to look back at my life and think wow I never got to just go crazy without thinking about the consequences).

So we decided to basically go on a 6 month break where the rules are: I am uncomfortable with her "getting with / hooking up with" other guys but I don't want her to just wait for me so if she does really like a guy she can start dating him (which she says she won't, I said i'm leaving it open it's your choice). While I can have meaningless hook ups etc but can start dating anyone. This is what we have agreed on but I feel like i'm just asking her to wait here while I do whatever I want (which is the reason I wanted to break up) and I can tell she is not totally happy with it either. So does what i'm saying make any sense or am I just an asshole?
    Last edited by gogogaget; 10-02-14 at 02:55 AM.