+ Follow This Topic

Thread: am I in the wrong here?

am I in the wrong here?

My 10 year old daughter wanted some new school trousers.
    She didnt need them.
    So i bought her a pair aged 11-12 as there was no 10-11.

A week prior to this she wanted some.leggings and told me to get age 11-12, so i thought they would be fine. If not, take them back. As you do...

She has kicked off about it all saying that it is my fault these trousers are too big (not by much i must add), and all hell has broke loose because of it.
    She has spoken to me disgracefully and went on to call her brother harsh names for nothing.

I told her how ungrateful she was being as it was an honest, easy mistake and if she hadnt ripped the tags off (after she claimed they were too big), id of been able to take them back.

According to her she is not ungrateful as she likes them and she is also not in the wrong for speaking to me like that as i bought them.and so it is my fault.

Oh no. You're in for some tough teenage years. Hugs to you xx
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

I know you are trying buy something that she will probably fit into in a month or two because they grow like a weed, but no kid wants to wear something that doesn't fit.

Just take her with you shopping and make her try things on and you both make a decision as to what fits or not.

I went through this crap with my mom, but it wasn't about fit it was ugly shit that was on sale. I didn't have fits about it but I refused to wear it and ofcourse she would call me ungrateful. All she had to do was take me with her, and have a nice mother/daughter shopping day together with lunch thrown in.

As for her additude, this is the start of the hormones/slef entitlement/ pushing the limits stage. Of course she's being a brat but kids go through this. You just need some patience and just compromise here and there. best of luck.

No I am with you

I bought her some trousers that fit her. I got no thanx, no nothing. But hey ho ... as long as shes happy

Be careful with this 'as long as she's happy' idea.

A 'thankyou' should be an absolute minimum expectation from you - even if it needs to be prompted or even insisted upon by you. Also, it may be too late this time - but I really hope that she got a consequence and had to issue an apology to both you and her brother before you went shopping again for her.

While Smackie is right about you going shopping with her (I can't shop without my teen girl anymore), I believe that kids need to understand that new things are a privilege and not a right.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.