+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Making a rude comment to my girlfriend

Making a rude comment to my girlfriend

This afternoon I had lunch with my girlfriend and her little brother. We were eating some wings and her brother said "man, I almost choked!"
    I looked at him and said "well don't stuff your mouthful like you did" he said "i didnt, i really didnt"

then i said "I have seen how you eat, you eat so fast like the food is going to run from you" my girlfriend looked at me and said "wow you are a jackass", i said "what, you have even mentioned that before" she said " yea but coming from you makes you look like a jackass"

i apologized but didn't see where I was that rude. I mean I was trying to tell him to slow down so he wouldn't choke!

Making a rude comment to my girlfriend

Well you were probably vindicated when she called you a jackass. Twice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the type of thing a parent says to a child. And *child* is the operative word.

You say he was a little brother. If he was younger than 10, there was nothing really wrong with your comment. But if he's closer to your age, it just sounds rude.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

I wouldn't want my boyfriend to speak like that to any member of my family. Just because you are her boyfriend doesn't give you the right to be so familiar with her family. Her family members aren't your friends, you need to treat them with more respect.

So just tell him to slow down. You decided to add a smart ass comment along with it and she called you out on it. Good for her !
    ...as ancient astronaut theorists would suggest

What you were saying may have had merit, But I would have tried to say it in a nicer way.

She is protective of her little brother, that is a character plus for her, imo. Saying sorry was all you needed to say after she got upset and the problem should have ended there. Nothing you hold a grudge over.

Quote Originally Posted by halifax7889 View Post
    i said "what, you have even mentioned that before" she said " yea but coming from you makes you look like a jackass"
    I forgot to add:

This would be because of the general rule that only family is allowed to criticise family. For the record, you're allowed to agree with her criticisms of her family- but you're not allowed to initiate the criticisms of her family. And it goes both ways - it's not cool for her to say stuff about/to your family either.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

yea, looking back now it was uncalled for but i didn't mean harm. i was just trying to joke about it

You were a tad crude man, seems like by the way you said it, it may come off like you don't like him.

Quote Originally Posted by halifax7889 View Post
    yea, looking back now it was uncalled for but i didn't mean harm. i was just trying to joke about it
    It happens to the best of us. She put you in your place, so now just let it go.