+ Follow This Topic

Thread: which marriage is best love marriage or arranged marriage

which marriage is best love marriage or arranged marriage

which marriage is best love marriage or arranged marriage

obviously love.

Quote Originally Posted by smackie9 View Post
    obviously love.
    Not really.

"Arranged" only implies that the parents pick out suitors that they approve first, and the son/daughter gets to decide if they like them or not. It's essentially the same thing as a "love" marriage, except there's the added benefit that your parents will almost certainly get along with them.

If the son/daughter doesn't have a say in the matter, then it's a forced marriage, and nobody could possibly think that's a good thing.

I thought arranged marriages were along the lines of a forced type of marriage. Where the son/daughter doesn't know the person the parent picks out, but yet they are still to marry him/her.

Personally, I could care less if my parents liked my husband, I am marrying him, not them. It would be OUR lives to build together as a couple & if we had a family, then as a family, not them to build it for us.

I don't know, I've never had an arranged marriage.

I have however had four of the other kind, and only got it right the last time... so obviously those have their flaws - or I do. Well, did. I've fixed the most egregious ones, I think.

I live in Surrey BC where we have a huge "South Asian" population, and arranged marriages have their horror stories. The younger generation have dropped this tradition, and would rather find love on their own.

No No No....arranged marriages don't work that way.. (the way you guys think--forced marriages).

These days, (especially mothers) look for prospective women who they feel have good morals and background and then suggest these ladies to their son. If he likes her, then he can proceed and it also works both ways...if the lady likes the guy, then he can proceed.
    Talking as someone who is from a culture that arranged marriages are a norm...

It depends on what you want from a marriage.

If your marriage is about blending two families which gives an increase in power, status and connections, then obviously an arranged marriage is better. But if you want a marriage where you really enjoy each other's company and adore each other, then marry for love.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Where I work there are many people from India. ALL have arranged marriages and the new parents set aside funds for their children's marriage and dowry from the moment their child is born. Countries have traditions and for the most part these work. I will say it wouldn't for me. I have to make my own decision in a partner.

old thread
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

not so gold when you're bumping current posters out of the way

her problem is obvious to even the most casual observer... lack-wits.

old thread.