+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Recovering Depression taking on 2 jobs and volunteer work?

Recovering Depression taking on 2 jobs and volunteer work?

Because of some mental health issues (PTSD and depression) I took a semester off from college. I am receieving treatment and have improved tremendously but not so much to actually go back to acdeics. So I decided to make myself useful by getting a job. The first job didn't offer many hours so I got another job. In total I work about 40 hours a week maximum 6-7hours a day. Sometimes it is 8 hours or even 9 but only once a week.
    The job keeps me moving and not staying home all day like i did for the past few months.
    Yes it is a lot. Yes I do not have time for myself sometimes. Only a few hours of tv a night but I do enjoy it. Especially my retail job.

. I love puppies they make me happy. My parents don't let me keep one so I was thinking of volunteering at an animal shelter. There is one near one of my jobs. I could go there for an hour or two once a week to volunteer. It could be a part of my social life. What do you think?

Good on you for working on yourself and getting out there.

Volunteering is a great thing to do, but before going to an animal shelter think about whether or not you're up for the abandonments, the cruelty and having to euthanise unwanted or ill treated animals. I worry that an animal shelter may do more harm than good.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Well done. Keep working on making you the best you that you can be. That's how we get our self-esteem and confidence.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion