+ Follow This Topic

Thread: College Relationship

College Relationship

I'll try to keep it short. I'm a male in my first year of college. I've been dating this girl whom I love very, very much for over a year now. We go to college 5 hours away from each other and see each other for one weekend a month (aside from Christmas break).

It's not easy at all to be in a college relationship where you both go to different colleges but I trust her very much as she trusts me a lot as well. Trust isn't the issue. She's just now telling me how rough it's been for her. I know she's been having a hard time as I have with not seeing each other much, but we've done a good job with it by calling, texting, and Skyping all the time. She just told me how she sees her friends with their boyfriends and people get all excited to see their boyfriends after not seeing them for a week while she has to go 3-4 more weeks without seeing hers.

She's questioning what to do as am I. We have to go another 3 years like this...though I may be transferring to a college that'll only make the drive 2.5 hours and I may be able to visit twice a month for the next 3 years. She's unsure of what to do. She said that we both know we could find other boyfriends/girlfriends at our colleges and that we both know there are others that would be with us. She even mentioned how a guy on the opposite sex sports team she's on said he was extremely pissed when he found out she was taken.

I'm torn on what to do. I worry a lot and though I trust her I still worry on the weekends when she's out with friends at a party. I know she wouldn't cheat and doesn't even dance with other guys..but it's the guys I worry about, not her doing anything.

Even through all of this I don't know what to do. I love her a lot...but I have grown very fond of one of her friends that goes to the college I might be transferring to. I've been friends with her for a long time and I know she likes me...but I don't know about leaving the relationship I am in to go with someone else that I would eventually see every single day so I wouldn't ever have to worry and I would be with her every day rather than once a month.

All of the conditions add up and I don't know what to do with it all. My girlfriend is considering ending it (she's thinking about solutions to the problem) and I don't know what to do either.

Any suggestions/help/advice is appreciated. Thanks.

Breakup. You both know this arrangement is going to last, despite how much you are in love now. You both are young, going to different schools where there is a smorgasbord of opportunities all around you. This is not the time in your life to be in a committed relationship anyways. You should be having fun, dating all kinds of girls, flings, parties, sleep overs etc. You are in school for 4 years, you may as well enjoy it. You don't need to be looking for your future wife. There will be plenty of time for that when you leave school. This should be the best years of your life....so enjoy your youth while you still can.