+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: books recommended for young adolescent??

books recommended for young adolescent??

Hey guys. My 13 year old sister suffers with bad anxiety. Shes always stressed and worried about my dad who drinks too much. Is there any self help books you guys would recommend for her? Or an online support group? Im trying to convince my parents to send her to a counselor but they are both in denial. Its like talking to a brick wall but I want to help her anyway I can. I really dont want this to affect her life especially when shes older

Thanks guys
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

http://www.amazon.com/Are-You-There-God-Margaret/dp/0385739869

Thanks ill check it out on my laptop in a bit

Maybe some of these books? A therapist would be able to give her all the books she would need to read they would know the right ones specially to help her out.

http://www.amazon.com/Shyness-Social-Anxiety-Workbook-Teens/dp/1608821870

Look at the long list of books beneath that of ones other customers bought they look good too.

Thank you

Looks like your sister have a good example in family how to not to drink unless she want become like her old man or you lol.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

Lol I socially drink occasionally. He drinks daily. Big difference

Yeah you are better that means. But you still do stupid shit when drunk. I think better dont drink at all. Everything starts from little. My father was drinker too. I remember waiting him come home and then seeing him in shit almost every day. I keep mile away from alcohol, just dont wana be like him. When you hurt yourself you are hurting everyone who loves you.

I dont do stupid things when drunk coz I never get so drunk that I dono what im doing. Im a smart drinker

But yeah alcohol can destroy peoples lives. Ill never be anything like my dad and I just hope my sister will be ok.

Quote Originally Posted by michelle23 View Post
    He drinks daily. Big difference
    I drink daily. So what?

I'm serious here... so what? I pay my bills, I get to work on time, I don't get mean or get into fights, I don't abuse my wife, my kids or my cats... I'm of legal age and I drink a sixer (or more) of beer every day. So what?

Nothing HIA no one cares about your drinking. Cause you are funcional and keep up with people expectations. My grandfather used to drink every night after work(he was security guard). He just sat down and quietly got drunk. Everyone was cool with it. Now when I work as security guard too I understand why he needed it.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartIsAching View Post
    I drink daily. So what?

I'm serious here... so what? I pay my bills, I get to work on time, I don't get mean or get into fights, I don't abuse my wife, my kids or my cats... I'm of legal age and I drink a sixer (or more) of beer every day. So what?
    My dad is the same as you most of the time but it is a big deal coz my sister believes he doesnt love her enough to stop. She blames herself and worries about him constantly coz he fell and nearly broke his neck a few years ago. He works hard, pays the mortgage, adores my mum, is a good man etc but she doesnt see that. In the eyes of a child hes just an annoying stupid drunk who puts drink above everything else including her.

And as a child when you spend family holidays in the pub all day instead of going to the beach like a normal family its kinda messed up

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    The best gift you can give her is your time. Take her for lunch or shopping. A book might seem a bit too detached for her age. That said, I've read good (if disturbing) things about Crank:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crank_(novel)
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by HeartIsAching View Post
    The "so what" part just made you take my seat as the forum drunkard. Congratulations.

Anyway, while everyone here is making cute book suggestions, has anyone (other than Indi, apparently) considered that the solution to a 13-year-old girl's alcoholic father-induced anxiety disorder isn't a fu​cking novel?

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    It sounds like a lot. But really, how much is 6 beer compared to, say, a couple of whiskeys or even a couple glasses of wine.

A beer that is 6% alcohol... that would be around 3 glasses of wine.

Its the everyday part that would have me worried. Plus, all those empty calories. Of course, HIA rides his bike everywhere so...
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast