+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How do married folks view singles?

How do married folks view singles?

I generally feel that married folks have an unflattering view of singles. I've been told on multiple occasions by married people that singles "are less responsible" or "have fewer responsibilities". I've been told that we singles are busy bar-hopping and philandering while marrieds are busy worrying about children, their homes, and and their careers.

Yet, a lot of us are single because *we don't have time* to date because we're taking care of our responsibilities both to ourselves and toward others. On the other hand, I've met plenty of irresponsible married couples - including some with children.

How do married people view singles? Do you keep in touch with your single friends after marriage? Do married folks really think singles are less responsible? (I want to avoid negative generalizations, so that's why I'm asking the question)

I got married because I thought I was supposed to, and I was getting older to the point where it seemed about time. I usually viewed single people as people who just hadn't found the right partner yet. In a very egocentric way, when I was married I thought that was the goal of all people. Since I have been single again, I have had a couple of opportunities to get married, but I declined. I no longer see it as a necessary part of a fulfilling relationship. In many ways, I see it as a hinderance to personal happiness. However, I do appreciate being in a relationship, but primarily for the chance to grow and learn about myself. I recognize now that there is no right or wrong in relationships, just what me and my partner want for ourselves.