+ Follow This Topic

Thread: What is the kindest way to dump someone?

What is the kindest way to dump someone?

Oddly enough I have never been in the position to dump someone. I've only been with my bf for a few months but it is not working out. He is overly dependent on me. It feels more like I have a child than a bf. He constantly wants to be with me and needs me to stroke his ego. I'm to the point where I'm completely exhausted spending any time with him. I've been working hard trying to save up to get a nice place. Now that I'm ready for it I find out he hasn't been seriously job hunting and he graduates in a couple weeks. I guess he just expects me to let him stay with me for free since I'll be able to afford the place by myself. I definitely have no plans of supporting him until he finds employment. I just don't have the energy to deal with it anymore. I don't want to be mean but I don't want to go through the motions of acting like a good gf.

The kindest way to dump someone, is not to be kind at all. Especially with clingy people like you describe here. Crush all hope clearly and quickly. Don't be mean, just matter of fact. Something like, "This relationship isn't doing it for me, and it's time to move on." Don't make a statement that allows for argument, and if begging and pleading starts, just leave.

Yes, it's kind to be cruel with some types. Be kind and straight forward first though and if he doesn't get the hint then you'll just need to stop responding to his attempts to engage you. Zero contact will seem cruel to him but it's really the nicest thing you could do for him because it will greatly help him to get over you so remember that if/when he keeps trying to have conversations with you or wants to be demoted to your platonic friend.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion