+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Why won't he propose?

Why won't he propose?

A little background on me: I'm 19 years old. I have a son who will be 2 in July. His father is not involved and I have full custody. I have been dating a man who is 24 years old since my son was about 6 weeks old--so around 2 years. About 3 months into our relationship, he took me to Kay Jewelers and had me look at engagement rings. 2 months after that, he got me a "promise ring". It has been over a year since receiving the promise ring and we have discussed engagement but he absolutely refuses to pop the question. 6 months ago, he promised me that he was going to ask me within the next 6 months but he hasn't. Now he keeps telling me "soon" but avoids discussing or looking at rings. He is constantly saying that he will go "when he has time" and putting it off. I'm at my wits end. After 2 years, I am ready to take the next step in our relationship. He says he is as well--but actions speak louder than words. We are both about to graduate. He is getting his Associate's in Nursing and I am getting my Bachelor's in ECE. He has a stable job. What is the hold up? I'm exhausted from all of the empty promises.

A wedding, dress, ring, honeymoon costs a lot of money....I feel he wants sock away more money first. Don't push or he will keep pushing things back when he does.

I have talked to a few male co-workers about this subject and they told me they became more resistant when their GF became more persistent. They found it totally irritating, because it looked to them that their GF felt entitled to it.

So stop it, let it just happen whenever it happens. If you don't see a ring on your finger next year, end the relationship.