+ Follow This Topic

Thread: How To End It Nicely

How To End It Nicely

Ok...

So who has broken off a long term relationship, and how do you do it nicely? I care about my partner deeply, we were childhood sweethearts, but we're not happy and I'm sick of trying to work out why. I want out.

My ex fiance did and it broke my heart and still breaks my heart

The only way to end it nicely is if the breakup is mutual.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Be kind with your tone and words be respectful and honest. She should be feeling the drift too so it shouldn't come as a shock to her.
    If she still loves you it will hurt her no matter how you do it. I had decent breakups and horrible ones both.

Send her a text - worked ok for me last time.

Quote Originally Posted by Boisdevie View Post
    Send her a text - worked ok for me last time.
    It's not the decent thing to do to break up with someone you had a long term relationship with via text.

You owe to your to GF to breakup with her on a face to face basis. Just be honest with your feelings and let her know that you're no longer happy. No matter how you do it, it will always hurt especially if she still loves you.

Next time you're arguing just say. "Okay, that's it, I'm done" then tell him this has been an unhappy situation for the two of us for a long time. Please don't contact me again, going no contact will help us to heal more quickly and get over the addiction of having each other in our lives."

Then go no contact and work on your addiction to having each other in your lives. Don't contact him out of your own guilt because that would be self serving of you.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Tell him we've both tried our best and maybe there's a light at the end of this. That you care about him and you'll be friends. Make it a joint decision. Its the best way. If u say I want this I want that then you'll only come off as a total bitch.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by chinagirl View Post
    It's not the decent thing to do to break up with someone you had a long term relationship with via text.

You owe to your to GF to breakup with her on a face to face basis. Just be honest with your feelings and let her know that you're no longer happy. No matter how you do it, it will always hurt especially if she still loves you.
    Seems like the sense of humour bypass operation worked.

Quote Originally Posted by Boisdevie View Post
    Seems like the sense of humour bypass operation worked.
    It didn't register like a sense of humor because people DO breakup via text because some individuals don't have the balls to say it in person.

absolutely agreed

There is no easy way. You can try and make it a little easier by saying stuff like "we can still be friends".....I've used that line a lot in the past but it was all BS, never had any intention of doing that but it sounded good during the break up talk.

There's no real nice way to do it. It's gonna hurt. But you can be calm and not yell or curse or drop guilt bombs. That's probably the best way to go.
    I'm not from Canada. I thought CA was california...

I agree with Wakeup next time you have an argument just tell them its over, you cant deal with it any more you are both unhappy and its dragging you down. Less awkward than the whole 'we need to sit down and have a talk' type thing.