+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Not sure what to do next after confusing ending to promising connection

Not sure what to do next after confusing ending to promising connection

I went on 6 dates with someone I met on a hike, who seemed like a great match - into the outdoors, similar values, we had tons of fun together, best initial match in years, etc. We had sex on the 4th date. On the 6th date Wednesday before Easter, she mentioned she thought things were going fast, and she usually waited a lot longer to have sex. I thought maybe she was worried about me not being committed (and I was feeling ready to make some commitment - probably too soon...). So I told her that I hoped in the future I would become her boyfriend. I haven't seen her since. She missed a date Easter night because she was out of town later than expected (she had said that Sunday was so far away, and she wished she could see me sooner...). We texted some and she indicated she was booked solid for the week with activities. Anyway, we talked on the phone that Wednesday after Easter and she said she wasn't sure if she was ready to date, and everything was happening so fast. I said we could slow things down, but she just kept repeating she was confused and not sure if she wanted to date. She brought up that I wanted to be her boyfriend already and she was worried about that and felt pressure. I said I wanted to be her boyfriend in the future, but was fine with the way things were going so far. Anyway, the conversation wasn't going anywhere, so I said let's give it a few days and talk at the end of the week. Right after the phone call, she texted me that she liked me so much and wanted to see me soon, and gave me a couple of windows of time we could see each other over the weekend. But I had made other plans for the weekend since she said she wasn't available. All weekend she was texting me regularly - I was just responding maybe once for every two texts, not over-texting. So we agreed to meet last Tuesday. Tuesday AM, she makes some excuse about her Dad being in town to not hangout, but "maybe" we can see each other Wednesday. Sensing we might not see each other that week, I asked her if she wanted to take a hike over the weekend, which was probably stupid because she had already indicated her weekends were booked for a few weeks (but I thought maybe there was a few hours in there...) So that Wednesday night I get a facebook private message essentially saying she had a great time dating, but just wants to be friends, because she really wants to be single right now. So I ignored the message, because honestly I didn't know what to say, and it seemed pretty rude to not find 1 hour to meet in person to end things, considering we live about 15 minutes apart.

So, yesterday (Monday) I get a several texts wondering if I wanted to hangout that night, after this group bike ride, she said she was hoping I would be on. I say I've got plans (because I do), but maybe some other time. She says she sure hopes so! Some more friendly texts yesterday, that I respond to casually/humorously. I'm really into her, but think maybe I should wait until I've calmed a bit before seeing her again, even if we're just going to be friends. Should I respond to her facebook private message breakup, or leave it lying? It seems she likes me, but not anything like boyfriend/girlfriend. Think I wouldn't mind dating her and giving her more space. Might be okay for a friend someday (although I certainly would like more). Not sure what to do next. Wait until next week and ask her to do something casual? See if she asks me to do anything again?

The way i see it, she wants to friend-zone you....She wants to enjoy your company but nothing more.
    I know there is no exact science to this, but i think you jumped the gun in showing your cards.

And we all know that a woman can make time if she wants to, but the fact that she does not see it important tells you something...she is not yet ready to commit to you.

Two can tangle in issues like this...she intends you guys meet at her own convenience - and this should not be acceptable. As the guy, you should be driving the dynamics. Stop acting desperate.
    Disappear from her radar. If she texts for those short notice meetup, do not assent to it. in the end, it will help with your moving on

Quote Originally Posted by Smila View Post
    The way i see it, she wants to friend-zone you....She wants to enjoy your company but nothing more.
    I know there is no exact science to this, but i think you jumped the gun in showing your cards.

And we all know that a woman can make time if she wants to, but the fact that she does not see it important tells you something...she is not yet ready to commit to you.

Two can tangle in issues like this...she intends you guys meet at her own convenience - and this should not be acceptable. As the guy, you should be driving the dynamics. Stop acting desperate.
    Disappear from her radar. If she texts for those short notice meetup, do not assent to it. in the end, it will help with your moving on
    Yeah, I jumped the gun. Funny how if I'm not that into a woman, she'll almost always be attracted to me. It shows that I get too invested when I think there's a connection and let them know how I feel for them too soon, like with this woman. It comes off as needy. I guess there isn't any recovery - sucks!