+ Follow This Topic

Thread: should I even forgive him?

should I even forgive him?

I had this friend who I dated for a few months, then I was told by him I lost my chance with him in Feb. Anyways, he still wanted to be friends and I was okay with that. But he got very mean, and yelled at me a bunch of times and told me everything that would come out of my mouth was a lie. I felt really hurt by him.

Anyways, we got at it with each other three weeks ago. It ended with him going back home on the bus but before he did he said if he would see me in school (we go to the same college) he would walk past me like he never met me. I blocked his number on my phone that instant, and then I blocked him on facebook so he wouldn't look at my profile.

Well, with no way to reach me, he reached me in email. He sent this

"hey, I wanted to tell u dat im sorry for my actions three weeks ago, I shouldn't have yell in ur face and said those things. i wish i never said those things to u, i was just mad at things dat have happened in my life, like i told you. I have been a total jerk and an idiot. hope u can find it in ur heart to forgive me and I miss our friendship..... and I really mean dat, no jokes this time..."

also, I had a voicemail from him, I just noticed it today. yes I blocked his number but the voicemail was under the "blocked" category. I listened to it and it basically was like the message he sent in the email but he spent the time to tell me he was sorry in both email and voicemail..... should I forgive him?

I'm 21 and he is 23 if that matters

lalalita Guest
    What do you gain from having him in your life?

Forgiving someone doesn't mean that we have to let them back in our lives. If it were me, I'd try and forgive - so as to let go of the anger. But by the same token, I wouldn't let him back in my life again.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Dont let him back into your life. Tell him no hard feelings but your moving on. Stop trying to be friends with men. It doesnt work. Go and find a bf and stop over complicating your life.
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

I can't necessarily agree that men and women should never be friends. Some of my best friends are women. Still, I agree with everybody's overall sentiment here. What exactly would you gain from having this guy back in your life? Do you really believe that he won't act like that again at some point? Because I find it highly doubtful that it is the isolated incident he is trying to make it out to seem. Forgiveness is fine, because it is as much for you as it is for the other person. In this case, though, forgiving him does not mean you have to then also forget. Do not forget that this is a guy who you are better off not having in your life. Good luck.

Folks, you're wasting your time. Check out some of her earlier threads.

Forget about him....Anyone who doesn't appreciate other's friendship or companionship is the one you need to be with.....This is just a start....it will escalate later...it is best to leave him....

Quote Originally Posted by HeartIsAching View Post
    Folks, you're wasting your time. Check out some of her earlier threads.
    worth repeating.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Thanks for the heads-up, HeartIsAching. Though, heck, I never have too much of a problem with offering up advice anyway. Even if the person is known to never listen to the advice people offer, or they are just a troll making up stories to waste people's time, I figure there may be somebody else reading who could benefit from what we have to say. So, no harm done. :-)

Anything that we could possibly say to her wouldn't help anyone who is actually sane.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion