+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Break Up or Keep Going?

Break Up or Keep Going?

Hello and thanks for stopping by; it means a lot. So first off, I'm a 17 year old guy that works as a cashier at a grocery store (Name must be with held for obvious reasons) in NY. I have worked there months now and recently the managers hired her; a new bagger. For anonymity again, we will call her Jessica. As she passed her training phase, I began to notice that she was staring at me a LOT. During times when there was nobody to serve we would talk a lot. We began to get closer and closer, which really brought me out of my anti-social box. If you had met me months ago, you would have believed we were two different people. (Meeting this girl has changed my social life overnight.) So anyways, we had lunch together during break and got to know each other very well. (Haven't kissed yet) This level of fondness has increased these past weeks to the point where my managers have begun gossiping with my friends about our relationship. Now here is my predicament: I really do love her but I'm not sure we could date because my parents wouldn't want it. So I have two options: if faced with the question about dating from Jessica should I say things would not work out (might read it as dumping) or just keep going and maybe do secretive dating? What should I do?
    Last edited by electro; 18-05-14 at 11:43 AM.

snckrs Guest
    Okay, I think your going to need to explain why your parents would object

They object for two reasons: a religious and an age restriction. (Though I am 17.)

My son had his first GF at the age of 15 and they broke up when he was 19. He is now 20 and has a GF that he works with. Explain to your parents that these are the sort of things that teenagers go through. It's perfectly normal. Chances are, you're not going to end up marrying this girl.

You will probably meet more girls that will catch your eye and interest and there is nothing wrong with that.

Just make sure to be careful and responsible when doing you know what so as to not knock off anybody at such a young age.

Good luck.
    Last edited by chinagirl; 18-05-14 at 10:45 PM.

Every parent is protective of their child especially when it comes to dating. (OK as someone with no religion i cant comment on the religious aspects but if the religion isnt an issue to you then it shouldnt affect things in my opinion). Parents dont want to see their children grow up and potentially get hurt. But thats life. Relationsahips make you vunerable but thats no reason to avoid them. As a teenager i dated in secret to my parents (things got very complicated and im not gunna get into it) but they found out by police knocking on my door asking about him. Hmm. But though my parents did the grumpy face they were nowhere near as mad as i expected. I would say tell your parents as they probably will be more understanding than you expect. I say this but im still playing at secret relationships into my twenties because my parents wouldnt accept my boyfriend. Its hard, i wish i had the strength to tell my parents, its for the best, you should try. At the end of the day it is your life not your parents though so dont let them control you, you are your own man.