+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Getting the ball rolling

Getting the ball rolling

I'm looking for a guys opinion but if the ladies have advice as well I'll take it.

I've had meetings with this guy from work for a while now but we just recently started talking more. As of right now we only see each other once a week at a small meeting and sometimes we run into each other in the hall (we work in different departments)

Last week, at our meeting I decided to sit by him and we briefly talked and at the end of the meeting, before I left, I could tell that he purposely asked me a pointless question about work just so he could talk to me... I think he's nice and cute so I played off that and later sent him an email about the same topic (even though it wasn't anything that really need to be communicated). He replied with with a cute comment but his email didn't need a response so I didn't say anything. The next day we had a meeting that only happens every couple months and we were both needed to present at it. I again sat close to him and we chatted about both work and non work related things before the meeting began. At the end of the meeting we both waited for one another to walk back to our building. We had a nice conversation about non-work related things and then had to part ways because my boss came and asked me a question.

So now I'm not sure where to go from here... How do I know if he's interested or just being nice? He did wait for me and I can always tell he's trying to make conversation when we don't have to talk. Do I do something now? I don't know if I should email him again because I don't really know what to say and we also haven't exchanged numbers yet... The last time I saw him he also said he had an email to forward to me that pertained to my work but I haven't gotten that email yet. We have our weekly meeting tomorrow so I could say something then or just see what he says.

Let me know what you guys think

Work and personal life should stay separate.

I agree with that but we only have one meeting together and the reason we are both at that meeting is for two totally different reasons. The person that leads the meeting will talk to his group and then mine and they don't actually work together. (If that makes sense)

I'd say ask him to meet up for drinks one night. It's not really a "date" but it's a good way for you two to talk outside of work and see where things can go.

Next time you have the opportunity to talk about non work things, ask him if he is seeing anyone. Or you can ask someone who he works with if he is. Just because a guy shows some interest in you don't always mean he is single.

If the vibes are there and you like this guy, ask him out for a casual friendly drink/coffee/tea, yada yada BUT, as someone said, throw some caution to the wind regarding the whole work/ personal life.
    If it doesn't work out, could get messy working with the guy but hey, different departments so you wouldn't see him in the office next to yours so I say, go for it.
    If he's dropping subtle hints and your picking up on it, it is real so , ask him out.

Thanks for your help guys. Today was our meeting day but I couldn't make it to the meeting because of other work commitments. Should I wait till next week to see how the face to face conversation is then or be bold and send him an email before that? Smackie is right that I don't know if he has a gf or not so I don't know what his response would be...

If I were you I'd email him.Being that you missed the meeting it kinda gives you the perfect leeway to ask them out, you know? "Missed our little chat....do you think you'd be interested in meeting up for drinks sometime to make up for it?" Something along the lines of that. Keep it short and sweet. Or you could always just wait it out a little more to get a better feel for him if you wanted. All depends on what you're more comfortable doing.

I'd take smackie9 advice, ask him if he is single. Unless he is super idiot, he'll know he has to ask you out (if he wants to).

So OP what has happened...you ask him out yet?

After everyone's comments I sent him a funny email about something we had talked about and at the end of the email string he said that we should go to coffee sometime. Since I just got back from a vacation I told him we should do it sometime after my vacation. Well... I just ran into him in the hallway (which never happens) and we talked for a while and at the end he said we still had to do coffee but he was kinda walking away because he had somewhere to be and I said that sounded good but we didn't exchange numbers or set a time (I'm kicking myself now for not saying more). I will see him next week so I can wait till then or I could send him another email today. Any suggestions?

Doesn't sound promising.....

I just realized I wrote something wrong in my last message....

"Since I just got back from a vacation I told him we should do it sometime after my vacation." ..... what I meant to say was Since I was going on vacation I told him we should do it sometime after my vacation. I just got back yesterday

Does it sound more promising now? lol

You two go out yet, Ann32?

We did I think it has gone really well so we will have to see where it goes from there!