+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Just went through a bad breakup, should I give up?

Just went through a bad breakup, should I give up?

I feel like this is the best place for this post, so here it goes.
    A week ago my boyfriend and I broke up. He's a really goofy, sweet, and friendly guy. He makes friends with other girls very easily and that's not really a problem for me, because I KNOW he isn't the type to cheat. I was his first "official" girlfriend (I'm the first one he told his family about) and we were together for a little over seven months.
    At the beginning of our relationship, I dropped my best friend because she had become abusive (physically and verbally) even though she's way smaller than I am. I was trying to make friends with the people in my classes, but had no such luck, so I kinda gave up. I didn't really feel like I needed a best friend because my new boyfriend and I were getting along so well and very open with each other. We never became lovey-dovey around our classmates, and would sneak kisses throughout the day and find ways to be really sweet or spend time together. I did become jealous within the first month of us going out because he's really friendly with other girls. He would get their numbers and be really friendly with them, but I overcame it because I he didn't look at them or treat them the same way he treated me.
    As time went on, he got a car, and since I live on his way to school, he would pick me up each morning.
    Even though we were a couple, we were really great friends, I can't stress this enough. We were constantly laughing and having fun together, because we never really had any time to be alone or romantic until he got a car. His car is old and uses up gas like nothing else, it's ridiculous. To school and back each day, including picking and dropping me off, is a 26 mile round-trip. We would go to his house on the days we were alone, but we could only do that once a week.
    In the recent months, I became a bit overly dependent, and on top of that, our plans were constantly getting cancelled. I was pretty dissatisfied, but knew there was nothing we could do about it. Oh, and when we did go to his house, which would be around noon, we always had to leave at 3-4 pm because I have a ridiculous curfew of 5 pm thanks to my dad. So, no matter how much fun we were having, it got cut short because I had to be home.
    It's now prom season. I really don't care about school dances, and never have. He got invited to his old school's prom and reconnected with some of his old friends (which were girls) because he had to go as someone's guest. He's going as the guest of his best friend (a girl) and her boyfriend. This boyfriend, by the way, is a bit of a jerk from what I've been told. He started going out with his best friend every weekend, and I got jealous. We barely go out together on the weekends, because even though I'm on his way to school, I still live about 8 miles away from him, and I don't want him to get in trouble for using up too much gas, and that's usually the reason he gives me too.
    So, when he started going out on the weekends with his friend, I didn't really care, until maybe a week or two ago. I've never met her, but he does really like her as a friend, and I trust him, but I was still uncomfortable with it. I never said anything, because I didn't really know how to talk about it without getting in his face about it. He would tell me that they would go to the town center where I live (we live in different cities) and do all this fun stuff. I very jealous for a number of reasons:
    1) I didn't know her.
    2) We weren't getting to be alone much, and he would spend his entire Saturday with her.
    3) He went out of his way to tell me that his weekends are the only times he gets to see his friends.
    4) When I asked if we could go on a date during a weekend he had plans, he would accuse me of trying to butt-in on his plans.
    5) It seemed like he was having more fun with her than we were recently.
    And him suddenly hanging out with her started because of prom. I was able to talk myself down from my jealousy by persuading myself that it was only a phase and after a month or so, it would calm down. Then, last week on Friday, while we were at school, she was texting him and calling him, asking if he could come get her from school once he finished class because she was having trouble with her boyfriend and really wanted someone to talk to. I was supportive and, at the time, completely fine with it. He told me he would call once he dropped her off at home.
    He called me around 9 pm and started telling me about his day with his friend. Our class gets out at noon. They were alone the entire time. They went out, had fun, went to his house and they were alone in his room, then they went to the town center near where I live, etc. Oh my word, I started feeling anxious. I had horrible anxiety issues before I met him, but after going out for a while, he helped me overcome a lot of them. I was sick at the thought of them alone for the whole day, especially about the part where they were in his room. He's let only me and a friend from our school into his house before, as far as I know, so this was a shocker. Again, I don't think he was cheating.
    I thought that I was telling him how I was feeling about it, and trying to get him to understand, but when I looked back on my texts and such, I found that I was demanding. I was really angry, irrational, and jealous. I started demanding that he never be alone with her, that he not see her, etc.
    He has three deal breakers:
    1) Never try to change him
    2) Don't cheat
    3) Never make him choose between me or his friends.
    I made him choose because I was so angry and hot headed and jealous, and I felt like he wasn't talking to me.
    I know this is a long story, but if you made it this far, hang in there! I really need some advice and new opinions, that's why I'm giving as much detail as possible.
    Except, we had already broke up once that week and what happened with my jealousy would make it the second. We're a very stable couple, not the back-and-forth type.
    The first break up has another story, but, in short:
    He was becoming harsh and going out of his way to be mean to our friends. He's usually a comedic guy who gets along with everyone. The first break up was my fault. I kept telling him he should be nice and stop being so mean. He agreed that he wouldn't say anything or would walk away if he got annoyed. Except, it didn't feel like enough for me so I kept harassing him about it, and in the end, he felt like I didn't like him. We had what I now call a "breakup session" because I was sobbing and asking him to reconsider, even though I was the one who finally ended it. I kept saying that I wanted him to end it since he felt like there was no hope, but he had this sad look in his eyes and I did it for him. He's never sad. He cried into my shirt and I hugged him and told him how much I would miss him and how much I loved him. When he left me, crying in my bed, he told me there was no chance we would get back together.
    He called 6-7 hours later saying he wanted to work on it. Half way through our relationship, we agreed to still be friends and he said he would still take me to school. When he called and said he wanted to work on it, I had already stopped crying and was ready to be his friend again, and try working on it from there, but I agreed to work on it. We were back together.
    Back to now, all of last weekend I was in horrible shape. I had ruined my relationship with my best friend and person I love. I wanted him back, I was moping, etc. I was constantly calling him, because I was over dependent and wanted him back. He mostly ignored me for the weekend, but was going to take me to school. I do a lot of writing, and was typing out how I felt and how sorry I was, etc. I sent him an apology, which he never responded to (of course) and was in and out of sleeping and crying. He took me to school on Monday, I felt like crap, I was dead in my seat, I didn't want to talk or even live. While we were with our friends, I asked him about his weekend. He had gone out and had fun with them all weekend. It cut deep to hear that. I had an exam that day.
    By the end of our first class, I was talking to him. Just talking to him somehow cheered me up, but once he saw the difference in my behavior, he decided that it was unhealthy for me to be with him all the time, and decided that he wasn't going to take me to school anymore. After our exam, he pawned me off on a friend to take me home. She took me home, stayed with me for about 6 hours, and during that time, I called his aunt. He lives with his aunt, and I had become acquainted with her during the first few months of our relationship. She let me know that she had put a lot of stress on him on top of all his class work during the time he was becoming harsh, but she said she also noticed him hanging around with his friend more than me. She said she would try to go out and talk to him, and would call me back on Wednesday. She never did.
    So, throughout this week, I've been up and down. I know he still cares because he's constantly asking how I am and curious about who I've been talking to, and stuff like that. He looks at me the way he used to, but he's not open to getting back together. He keeps saying, "It's a breakup. Get over it." He's being really harsh about it.
    In the past week, I've overcome my dependency on him. I don't have the constant urge to text/call/be with him, but I still really really like/love him. I'm worried about his behavior though. He's become a lot worse, as far as being mean goes, he's made a comment about me being mad during a card game just because we broke up, he's made someone who used to be his friend cry, and he's pledged to stop giving rides to people. He used to be a very generous, caring, cheerful person, even before I went out with him, and all of our friends have noticed the difference in his behavior. He's not giving rides to people anymore, because he wants to as little driving during the week so he can use all his gas on what I now call "his weekend friends".
    Other information:
    I wrote him a love letter, because when we started going out, he had asked me for a letter, not necessarily a love letter, but I wanted it to be one.
    He's never done any drugs or partied with booze because he's purely uninterested.
    And since we've been broken up, I've come to realize a lot of the mistakes I had made in our relationship, and I've been learning from them. I want to try again.
    Earlier today I came to accept that we probably won't ever get back together, but I still love him and want to be his friend, but I'm worried about him.
    I feel like I shouldn't give up because I know we still love each other, but at the same time, I just feel this... wall? He just doesn't want me back because I did what he asked me never to do, ever. Is it time to give up?
    Last edited by illegalichigo; 25-05-14 at 08:33 AM.

Should you give up? The easy answer is no you'll find someone else.

But it really depends on what you want, and if you think you'll find it. Do you want someone to always be by your side or would you rather be alone? Do you want someone to be with you forever or just temporarily? You may think you won't be able to find who you are looking for, but chances are there is someone who wants what you want out there. I say, if you're up for it, keep looking.
    I'm not from Canada. I thought CA was california...