+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: POF (Plenty of Fish) Review

Quote Originally Posted by smackie9 View Post
    You get what you pay for when it`s free. If I was single to day, I would do it the old fashion way and just ask a guy out in person, at the bar, grocery store, party, etc. The internet has made people lazy.
    100% agree with you. i can't do the online dating machine, i'd rather have a set up off friends or meet a girl when out.
    When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.
    William Blake

My brother has met through online dating more compatible women than in real life and is currently in a happy relationship :-)

what site did your brother use, valixy? i've heard some mixed online dating stories, probably more bad than good that i don't want a part of it. i don't go for the bar pick ups either.

- - - Updated - - -

fearoflove, you haven't met one nice guy yet?
    When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.
    William Blake

Not everyone has a bad experience picking someone up at a bar, that is how I met my husband.

That's how my 2 GF's met their husbands also. It's just that there are different ways of meeting people now. There is such a stigma attached to on line dating. I don't know why. I've never had any bad experience at all, but then again, I haven't been there long enough to meet the "shady" or "creepy" characters.

I have a few friends that had horrible experiences because of the fact they are meeting strangers, which can be difficult to really know who and what they are from a photo and a profile. I think it's better to meet someone through friends, family and co-workers, or on your own randomly. I get that everyone spends more time on their devices rather than the real world, maybe that's why people are having a harder time because we as a society have disconnected from physical contact.

Quote Originally Posted by Exeter19 View Post
    what site did your brother use, valixy? i've heard some mixed online dating stories, probably more bad than good that i don't want a part of it. i don't go for the bar pick ups either.
    He joined meeting a year ago probably and it has been a good experience for him. He also knew what he wanted very clearly and I think that must have helped him.

Quote Originally Posted by smackie9 View Post
    I get that everyone spends more time on their devices rather than the real world, maybe that's why people are having a harder time because we as a society have disconnected from physical contact.
    Think you are right here.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

- - - Updated - - -

fearoflove, you haven't met one nice guy yet?
    I haven't met one guy who I could be serious with on POF. Most of the guys on there are usually looking to get laid, non-commital, and focused on how I look. Maybe I am getting those types of guys because people online pick based on pictures.

I am now dating a guy who I have been friends for years.
    A strong woman takes advantage of help she can get from people around her but she doesn't rely on them for anything

She uses logic and manages her emotions

She offers help either because it is a business transaction or out of kindness. It is never because she hopes others will return the favour or out of fear of losing them

She has her own mind and thinks for herself and knows that she has to be the one who bears the consequences of her decisions

Is POF the only one you tried so far, fearoflove? Do any of the ones you reject stalk bother you on there after or you can block them out if they do?
    “If you worry about what might be, and wonder what might have been, you will ignore what is.”

I have also tried POF and have had similar experience just reverse rolls. I found that most of the women on there in my area either aren't interested in a committed relationship or they are looking for a sugar daddy. I gave it a try out of recommendation from a friend.
    One thing that confused me is women that live way outside my area that would message me, I really don't feel like having to drive 3+ hours just to see someone.
    I can't speak for anyone but myself but a committed LTR is why I signed up.
    I had similar experience with OkCupid, interesting site with the questioniares that you can feel out so you can screen people before you message them. I was actually disturbed by the number of people that indicated drug use and by the number of people the said they would not date a single dad. I did meet one gal from that site but on our date the only thing she was interested in talking about was how much I made and how well I could advance at my current job.

***Obviously the lady was looking for someone who was ambitous and goal oriented, she just didn't know how to go about finding out.

As for pot smokers, the majority of people here in BC smoke pot so I'm sure it's the norm everywhere else. Maybe if I was 20 something again I would be smoking pot too.

I wouldn't date a single dad either, and I know lots of other people who won't date a single partent because they don't need the baby drama or ex drama attached to the kids. Or don't like how a kid can tie you down, they want more freedom in the relationship to be spontanious.

Not everyone wants to be a potential step parent.

Smackie, you don't have to be 20 something to smoke pot. You can still smoke pot you know :-)

Quote Originally Posted by fearoflove View Post
    I haven't met one guy who I could be serious with on POF. Most of the guys on there are usually looking to get laid, non-commital, and focused on how I look. Maybe I am getting those types of guys because people online pick based on pictures.

I am now dating a guy who I have been friends for years.
    it could be off the pics you use, what about changing your style of pics you display and see if the class of guys improve, to say if you have a sexier pic of yourself up put up a more demure one. good to have a variety of images, but for your main image change to opposite of what you have up right now that is bringing in the sleazier guys.

did you keep your POF profile active, or you deactivated it while dating your long time friend?

gl, hope the relationship goes well.
    William Blake

Quote Originally Posted by hatesthis View Post
    Is POF the only one you tried so far, fearoflove? Do any of the ones you reject stalk bother you on there after or you can block them out if they do?
    There are some guys on there that wouldn't leave me alone. But after ignoring their messages for awhile, they eventually stop.

It is a good idea not to let them know where you live.

it could be off the pics you use, what about changing your style of pics you display and see if the class of guys improve, to say if you have a sexier pic of yourself up put up a more demure one. good to have a variety of images, but for your main image change to opposite of what you have up right now that is bringing in the sleazier guys.

did you keep your POF profile active, or you deactivated it while dating your long time friend?

gl, hope the relationship goes well.
    My pics are not sleazy at all. They are pretty tame. I still get sleazy guys messaging me. Some guys pretend they are looking for a relationship but after meeting in person, it is clear they just want to get laid.

I deactivated my profile when I got busy with school. It was over a half year after I deactivated my account that my friend asked me out.
    A strong woman takes advantage of help she can get from people around her but she doesn't rely on them for anything

She uses logic and manages her emotions

She offers help either because it is a business transaction or out of kindness. It is never because she hopes others will return the favour or out of fear of losing them

She has her own mind and thinks for herself and knows that she has to be the one who bears the consequences of her decisions

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast