+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Would you allow your daughter to attend swim classes with boys in school?

Would you allow your daughter to attend swim classes with boys in school?

at my daughters schools from 8th -10th grade, in PE she attends the swim unit and boys and girls have it together? Why is this allowed? Wouldn't this make girls feel uncomfortable and give immature boys an opportunity to harass and humiliate girls? And cause distractions and goofing off among everyday? Not to mention young boys will be shirtless around young girls and I think that is inappropriate especially in a school setting

My daughter keeps saying she does not care but she is young and may not understand how wrong this is this just seems wrong especially at school. Giving a boys a chance to leer at girls like this
    this class also pretty much just gives students to look at all the other students in bathing suits. How is this appropriate for school? Why is the school providing an avenue for voyeurism?
    can people really say honestly that young boys and girls will concentrate on swimming while they are around each other in bathing suits and not goof off? That boys (who aren't known for sensitivity) won't use this opportunity to harass or tease girls?

whose idea were these classes? These classes only seem to benefit males and it gives them an opportunity in school to leer at their female classmates in bathing suits. Why create a class just for boys to look at girls basically? I just don't get it This is not a public pool for everyone, this is school. School should not be making students be in revealing costumes in front of each other. And give boys an opportunity to leer at girls in this situation
    I am thinking of going to the school and asking that boys
    and girls be separated or boys be required to wear shirts while swimming

how come more parents are not caring or are concerned about this? Their kids are being made to wear revealing clothes around each other!

lalalita Guest
    We're from two different countries with two very different cultures, but, I personally see nothing wrong with tweens and teens being in a swimming pool setting.

Revealing costumes? Does that mean shapely ankles are on display to those young perverts (boys)?

(Edited in the name of tolerance)

Astr, I suggest you go and observe the kids. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised at their maturity.
    Last edited by basilandthyme; 30-05-14 at 03:35 PM.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by astr591 View Post
    at my daughters schools from 8th -10th grade, in PE she attends the swim unit and boys and girls have it together? Why is this allowed? Wouldn't this make girls feel uncomfortable and give immature boys an opportunity to harass and humiliate girls? And cause distractions and goofing off among everyday? Not to mention young boys will be shirtless around young girls and I think that is inappropriate especially in a school setting

My daughter keeps saying she does not care but she is young and may not understand how wrong this is this just seems wrong especially at school. Giving a boys a chance to leer at girls like this
    this class also pretty much just gives students to look at all the other students in bathing suits. How is this appropriate for school? Why is the school providing an avenue for voyeurism?
    can people really say honestly that young boys and girls will concentrate on swimming while they are around each other in bathing suits and not goof off? That boys (who aren't known for sensitivity) won't use this opportunity to harass or tease girls?

whose idea were these classes? These classes only seem to benefit males and it gives them an opportunity in school to leer at their female classmates in bathing suits. Why create a class just for boys to look at girls basically? I just don't get it This is not a public pool for everyone, this is school. School should not be making students be in revealing costumes in front of each other. And give boys an opportunity to leer at girls in this situation
    I am thinking of going to the school and asking that boys
    and girls be separated or boys be required to wear shirts while swimming

how come more parents are not caring or are concerned about this? Their kids are being made to wear revealing clothes around each other!
    What do you mean "they are being made to wear"? Were there no other options for PE available besides swimming? It sounds to me like your daughter CHOSE this.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Huh? What's wrong with being in swimsuits? It's not like they're on display for an array of pedophiles... they're just kids. There's nothing shameful about the human body. Please don't make your daughter believe that there is.

Also, the males can look at the females as much as the females can look at the males. It's human nature to be attracted to other people (or not for asexual people, that's human nature too of course). There's nothing wrong with it.

My son and daughter went to swimming lessons when they were very young. As far as I can remember, they separated the boys from the girls, but the parents were also required to be there to watch their kids.

As an adult, I went to swimming class and the males and females were in the same pool. The male students were fine. It was the swimming instructor who was a pervert who kept on whispering disgusting stuff in my ears while learning how to swim. Although he didn't touch me inappropriately.

I quit after 3 lessons because I couldn't take the pervert whispering in my ears while I was learning how to float.

Well its not like swimming pool are different from other places. Boys check out girl all the time, in class on the street etc. In swimming pool everyone will be half naked so people will be used to that and no one will really care. Everyone will be busy with swimming anyway. Like Basil said if you have the chance then go watch, and your daughter might improve her swimming because of your support.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

Get a life. Your daughter is gonna be bent over when shes older, get used to it.

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    What do you mean "they are being made to wear"? Were there no other options for PE available besides swimming? It sounds to me like your daughter CHOSE this.
    it is part of the PE curriculum. I can get her out of it if I write a note though but no, it is part of the curriculum

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by pcmaster View Post
    Well its not like swimming pool are different from other places. Boys check out girl all the time, in class on the street etc. In swimming pool everyone will be half naked so people will be used to that and no one will really care. Everyone will be busy with swimming anyway. Like Basil said if you have the chance then go watch, and your daughter might improve her swimming because of your support.

I think putting teenage boys and girls together in swimming class is just wrong. Boys tend to be loud, boisterous and rowdy at that age and it can lead to trouble

How about schools just for girls? You know I been in UK and saw different schools where boys and girls are separate. You know school just for girls and schools just for boys.Maybe you have that in your country aswell.

If guys are really so outgoing as you say then girls should be used to that already. Besides girls at that age are not so divine and innocent too. So damage might already been done lol.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

Quote Originally Posted by astr591 View Post
    Boys tend to be loud, boisterous and rowdy at that age and it can lead to trouble
    Teenage girls can also tend to be loud, boisterous and rowdy....with mouths which can match a sailor. And they can also get into trouble. This isn't a gender specific issue.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Quote Originally Posted by basilandthyme View Post
    Teenage girls can also tend to be loud, boisterous and rowdy....with mouths which can match a sailor. And they can also get into trouble. This isn't a gender specific issue.
    Couldnt agree more.

I think its all very different here in England, I work in a school, and they go to swimming lessons as a class. I'm not sure what age 8th-10th grade is but our year 6 classes (age 10/11) have mixed swimming groups based on ability not gender.