+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Anyone deal with hating their SO's dog?

Anyone deal with hating their SO's dog?

I try so so very hard to tolerate my fiance's dog! The dog (I'll call her Spot) is a 60-70lb lab mix and everything about her annoys me. Shes big, loud, doesn't listen to me (although she listens to my fiance perfectly), is super hyper, and the most annoying part to me: she stalks my fiance around the house. This drives me crazy. I want to watch a movie with him or eat dinner, without having to deal with the dog every second. I feel like I never get a break from her... I feel like my house is a high stress environment and I dread coming home and dealing with her when I just want to come home and relax. The dog was living with his parents and only coming on weekends (which was hard enough to deal with!) until it started to have behavioral issues so it moved in with us a week ago. I am home way more than my fiance since I am in grad school so am often studying or doing research at home all day so I am the one dealing with her.

I have never been a dog person, even as a kid I didn't want them near me. Well, a couple months ago, before Spot moved in, my fiance found a small (15 lb) dog in the middle of the road and put it in his car for fear of it being hit. We ended up deciding to keep the dog and I actually fell in love it. It is the easiest dog ever, sleeps all day while I study and cuddles me at night when I sleep. It doesn't eat the cat food or get into the litter box... basically she is the perfect dog for a nondog person! I hate that I can't feel this way about Spot but no matter how hard I try, i still feel nothing but annoyance for this dog. It drools which grosses me out and pants loudly while I try to study. Part of it is probably just that it doesn't feel like my dog, it stalks him and listens to his every word and ignores me. He got it before we started dating so it just doesnt feel like my dog... it feels like extra, annoying work. It isn't even a bad dog really... its just a loud and large and hyper and for someone like me who generally doesn't like dogs, shes about the hardest dog ever to try to tolerate.

Anyway, that's my rant about the dog. Anyone have any advice other then just deal with it? I know its not fair to ask him to get rid of his dog but its also not far that I have to feel constant stress and annoyance in my home, where I should be able to relax. We are obviously not going to break up over an animal. I think this may be one of those issues that there is truly no good solution but I was wondering if anyone had any advice or has dealt with anything similar.

You and your fiance should take her to a training class. She obviously listens to your fiance fine but it will help to have him there with you as well. But I mean if you physically hate this dog than that's gunna be a problem..

Has the new dog not been any sort of company, companionship for the bigger troubled dog? or does the big dog ignore the new littler one and only follow your fiance around? What kind of problems was the dog causing at his parents that got it sent fulltime with you both? I know it must be annoying to you if you cannot bond with his dog, what has he said on the topic? Is he willing to help you bond with his dog, or get the dog some outside help for its attachment and behavior issues?

My ex didn't like cats and didn't want my cat in our bed and I grew up sleeping with my cats in my bed it is comforting to me to snuggle up and hear purrs and he was like no way, so I trained her to sleep on a plush kitty bed instead, until we went LDR and she went right back into my bed. You and your fiance need a happy common ground for dealing with the dog issue, he needs to help you out, people break up over less and he should realize that and the stresses it is causing you.
    “If you worry about what might be, and wonder what might have been, you will ignore what is.”

Quote Originally Posted by Valixy View Post
    Nico88: the dog whisperer
    lol

Best you can d o is understand that this is temporary and after like 10 years dog will become old and not so hyper active. So be patient and sleep well so your nerves recover better and you wont care so much about the dog.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

Call a Waaabulance !! You decided to marry this girl and now you're sick of that dog? Man up and deal....this is life