+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips for studying

Quote Originally Posted by Valixy View Post
    You almost remind me of a friend who once invited me for pizza at his place with music in the background, while watching a film with the subtitles on, but also holding a small radio near his ear to follow an important football match and all this while we were having conversation :-D
    Now seriously, thanks for the tips. I'm glad you found what really works for you. I've been struggling to study in the last two days but today's been much better
    Heh... my ex came into the bedroom one day and turned off the radio I was listening to the football game on, because I was laying on the bed and reading a book. I said "Hey, I was listening to that!" She didn't believe me until I told her what the last play had been.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartIsAching View Post
    Heh... my ex came into the bedroom one day and turned off the radio I was listening to the football game on, because I was laying on the bed and reading a book. I said "Hey, I was listening to that!" She didn't believe me until I told her what the last play had been.
    Yes, one sort of gets a bit confused when dealing with multitask people

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Quote Originally Posted by KingZ View Post
    Ah, what perfect timing for The Guardian to report on this:

[url]http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/poll/2014/jun/06/sleep-memory-discovered-scientists-how-much-enough[/url]
    Also this:
    [url]http://www.nih.gov/news/health/oct2013/ninds-17.htm[/url]

FWIW, I'm usually in bed by 9:30pm or 10pm latest (we are up at 5am) unless I'm pushing a deadline and, as KZ says, I've mismanaged my time (aka not been harsh enough saying 'no' at work).
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Haha, in bed by 9:30 PM. You're so old.

IndiReloaded is offline Yawning
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Except tonight. Presentation tomorrow and my staff off today. Sucks to be responsible.
    Second thoughts can generally be amended with judicious action; injudicious actions can seldom be recovered with second thoughts.
    --Cyteen by C.J.Cherryh

Quote Originally Posted by IndiReloaded View Post
    Also this:
    [url]http://www.nih.gov/news/health/oct2013/ninds-17.htm[/url]

FWIW, I'm usually in bed by 9:30pm or 10pm latest (we are up at 5am) unless I'm pushing a deadline and, as KZ says, I've mismanaged my time (aka not been harsh enough saying 'no' at work).
    Thanks, Indi. This new week I feel much better and have been able to dedícate to my studies :-) Good luck with your presentation!

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    In addition to maintaining a regular study schedule, I often found that reading dense material out loud helped me retain. I had a small group of girls I studied with before exams who were academically the same level as myself, and invariably, one of us would be strong in an area that others were weak. For rote memorization, I would make up little stupid songs I would sing to myself when I would go walking.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    In addition to maintaining a regular study schedule, I often found that reading dense material out loud helped me retain. I had a small group of girls I studied with before exams who were academically the same level as myself, and invariably, one of us would be strong in an area that others were weak. For rote memorization, I would make up little stupid songs I would sing to myself when I would go walking.
    You're on vacation, shut up.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I am waiting for a pilates class to start! Also, vacations alone can be kind of lonely during the down time...
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Pilates? Is that the 21st century jazzercise?

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    I don't know... I haven't tried it before.

It's the 21st century jazzercise. Enjoy the low risk of injury.

Quote Originally Posted by KingZ View Post
    Pilates? Is that the 21st century jazzercise?
    Pretty much.

Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    Not really... it's muscle work (at least today), whereas jazzercise was cardio.

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    Thx, Vashti. Reading out loud is something I practise too and sometimes words associations for memorization. Lucky you, you had a nice group to study with occasionally. That's something I would like a LOT, maybe from autumn will be possible because classes will be regrouped. This year group is terrible, there's no communication, no companionship and I've had to detach myself or I would have ended up feeling bitter. Good thing is that the school year is finishing now and I'm hoping for a positive change next course. It simply couldn't be worse than what I've seen this year lol.

No stress for you since you're on holiday, right? Enjoy discovering pilates :-)
    Last edited by Valixy; 12-06-14 at 08:45 AM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast