+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tips for studying

Tips for studying

Do you have any tips for studying? What works or used to work best for you, especially when dealing with dense and extense subjects that aren't a favourite?

i was horrible with my concentration, i would read and read over and over and highlight parts that i felt were more crucial to recall, write out lots of notes too. i found early am was better then trying to do it all before bed though, better retaining of knowledge then.
    When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.
    William Blake

Your concentration peak is at night time then. It works better for many people studying at night as there are less distractions.

Thing is that I started some serious studies last year and there are subjects that I assimilate effortlessly but others...take me forever. I also feel that working interrupts my study rhythm every day and I often get distracted with loveforum :-D I suppose there aren't any real tips, it's just a question of putting more effort into studying :-)
    Last edited by Valixy; 07-06-14 at 07:49 AM.

4.0 GPA student here.

First order of business: never cram, never procrastinate. Ever. I just started summer classes a couple weeks ago and finished writing my 9th paper of the semester this morning. The deadline is exactly that: a deadline. Avoid it like the plague.

Next thing is understanding circadian rhythms:

[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circadian_rhythm_sleep_disorder#Normal_circadian_r hythms[/url]
    [url]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/30/Biological_clock_human.svg[/url] <- important

You'll notice that melatonin secretion stops at 7:30, alertness peaks at 10:00, and "best coordination" is around 14:30. (This is all assuming you don't have a sleep disorder.)

The way I've interpreted this is that you're most likely to be mentally competent earlier in the morning, and physically competent later in the day. I usually wake up between 5 and 6 AM, take amphetamines/coffee/whatever, and study/work until noon. I always skip breakfast; eating food puts a huge dick in your ability to focus.

The other reason I say to never procrastinate is that your brain is still studying long after you've stopped. I exercise later in the day, because I think it helps; eat a ridiculous amount of food, and then go to sleep around 9-10 PM.

Rinse and repeat.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if you think you're a "night person", you either have a sleep disorder or you're full of shit. Chances are, you're staring at your computer screen and you have lights on at ridiculous hours of the night.

This program should help: [url]https://justgetflux.com/[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Exeter19 View Post
    i was horrible with my concentration, i would read and read over and over and highlight parts that i felt were more crucial to recall, write out lots of notes too. i found early am was better then trying to do it all before bed though, better retaining of knowledge then.
    I think I didn't understand your post correctly when I read it the first time, Exeter. You concentrate much better in the mornings actually, right? It's the general characteristics for most of the people, I suppose. I too think morning hours are the best, but between going to school in the mornings and working in the afternoons until late in the evenings, I can only attempt studying in the mornings at the weekends and many times I feel I need to catch up on lost sleep. Good thing is that there are lots of public holidays and long weekends in Spain (maybe more than in any other European country!) when I succeed to balance things a little bit :-)

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by KingZ View Post
    4.0 GPA student here.
    Congrats!

First order of business: never cram, never procrastinate. Ever. I just started summer classes a couple weeks ago and finished writing my 9th paper of the semester this morning. The deadline is exactly that: a deadline. Avoid it like the plague.

Next thing is understanding circadian rhythms:

[url]https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circadian_rhythm_sleep_disorder#Normal_circadian_r hythms[/url]
    [url]https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/30/Biological_clock_human.svg[/url] <- important

You'll notice that melatonin secretion stops at 7:30, alertness peaks at 10:00, and "best coordination" is around 14:30. (This is all assuming you don't have a sleep disorder.)

The way I've interpreted this is that you're most likely to be mentally competent earlier in the morning, and physically competent later in the day. I usually wake up between 5 and 6 AM, take amphetamines/coffee/whatever, and study/work until noon. I always skip breakfast; eating food puts a huge dick in your ability to focus.

The other reason I say to never procrastinate is that your brain is still studying long after you've stopped. I exercise later in the day, because I think it helps; eat a ridiculous amount of food, and then go to sleep around 9-10 PM.

Rinse and repeat.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, if you think you're a "night person", you either have a sleep disorder or you're full of shit. Chances are, you're staring at your computer screen and you have lights on at ridiculous hours of the night.

This program should help: [url]https://justgetflux.com/[/url]
    Advanced spirituality/meditation schools and most of the religious temples around the world follow closely the circadian rhythms you mentioned. The activity of the day begins at 5 am with a meditation and students/followers are encouraged to go to bed at 10 pm. I still have to form such healthy habits but maybe in a few years when my life will be a bit more relaxed and organized again, I will. Breakfast is a must for me in order to be able to concentrate though. I used to drink a lot of coffee years back, only occasionally now, but I sometimes have an energy drink when I am very tired. They are very unhealthy but I can't afford being sleepy at the courses or at work.

Do amphetamines give you a lot of energy and help you concentrate? Not that I'd want to try because I've been struggling with my nicotine addiction for years and that is enough hassle for me lol. In a few weeks when I finish the exams I'll quit FOR GOOD and maybe I'll post something similar to what Basil did and warn people about my inevitable mood swings :-)

Do you enjoy studying all the subjects though? Is that possible? I think I'm a bit disappointed with the curriculum.

Thx for the tips
    Last edited by Valixy; 07-06-14 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valixy View Post
    I think I didn't understand your post correctly when I read it the first time, Exeter. You concentrate much better in the mornings actually, right? It's the general characteristics for most of the people, I suppose. I too think morning hours are the best, but between going to school in the mornings and working in the afternoons until late in the evenings, I can only attempt studying in the mornings at the weekends and many times I feel I need to catch up on lost sleep. Good thing is that there are lots of public holidays and long weekends in Spain (maybe more than in any other European country!) when I succeed to balance things a little bit :-)
    How late into the night do you work? You need to be able to get 8 hours of sleep each night. You might be able to tweak your rhythm based on work/study hours, but you absolutely have to get 8 hours of good, solid, healthy, not-pill-induced sleep.

Do amphetamines give you a lot of energy and help you concentrate? Not that I'd want to try because I've been struggling with my nicotine addiction for years and that is enough hassle for me lol. In a few weeks when I finish the exams I'll quit FOR GOOD and maybe I'll post something similar to what Basil did and warn people about my inevitable mood swings :-)

Do you enjoy studying all the subjects though? Is that possible? I think I'm a bit disappointed with the curriculum.

Thx for the tips
    It's not about enjoying everything you're learning. Of course, that wouldn't be possible. It's about being disciplined and having control over yourself. You stick to a schedule, you work hard, and your efforts are validated as correct with results.

The discipline is invaluable. It's what's going to get you through cutting cigarettes cold turkey.

A lot of reading... And this is what I also emphasize on my children, if they do a lot of reading like books, articles, journals, etc, it helps them retain information much easier and easily grasp the content of the material.

When the subject is not interesting enough, I double my effort. Like kingZ said, I tackle projects early on to make sure I'm way ahead before the deadline. No procrastinating and cramming (the adrenaline might help with the memory but the information is not retained in your brain on a long term basis, so it isn't really learning, it's more like getting by to pass an exam or finish a paper).

Hope this helps and good luck Val.

How late into the night do you work? You need to be able to get 8 hours of sleep each night. You might be able to tweak your rhythm based on work/study hours, but you absolutely have to get 8 hours of good, solid, healthy, not-pill-induced sleep.
    I get home around 10-11 pm and I have less than 8 hours sleep at night during the week. First semester was ok but the second one was torture, even for students who don't work like I do. I've also decided for all the subjects this year and I simply am not anymore the kind of person who could dedicate all her time to studying, I've got other obligations too and the need to disconnect. I'll have summer holidays to recover some of the subjects though that I couldn't follow very well during the school year, so I'll see how that goes.

It's not about enjoying everything you're learning. Of course, that wouldn't be possible. It's about being disciplined and having control over yourself. You stick to a schedule, you work hard, and your efforts are validated as correct with results.

The discipline is invaluable. It's what's going to get you through cutting cigarettes cold turkey. .
    Discipline is a must indeed and I am too used to own my time outside work. I seriously need some kind of change. Thank you for your encouragement

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by chinagirl View Post
    A lot of reading... And this is what I also emphasize on my children, if they do a lot of reading like books, articles, journals, etc, it helps them retain information much easier and easily grasp the content of the material.

When the subject is not interesting enough, I double my effort. Like kingZ said, I tackle projects early on to make sure I'm way ahead before the deadline. No procrastinating and cramming (the adrenaline might help with the memory but the information is not retained in your brain on a long term basis, so it isn't really learning, it's more like getting by to pass an exam or finish a paper).

Hope this helps and good luck Val.
    Thank You!

I've simplified my life quite a lot, less time going out, spending more time at home, especially during the exams period but I am not getting the results I wished though. I'll just have to double my efforts as you say
    Last edited by Valixy; 08-06-14 at 12:50 AM.

I'll just have to double my efforts as you say
    I'll humbly disagree on this one. You're perfectly capable of exerting a standard amount of effort and accomplishing an enormous amount in the day, but you're sabotaging it with bad habits.

The activity of the day begins at 5 am with a meditation and students/followers are encouraged to go to bed at 10 pm. I still have to form such healthy habits but maybe in a few years when my life will be a bit more relaxed and organized again, I will.
    I hate it when people spoil the endings for me, but I'd like to gently suggest that your life probably won't be more relaxed and organized in a few years. Actually, if you just focus and discipline yourself now, whatever it is you're dealing with will go by quicker and smoother. Seriously.

• Quit smoking
    • Go the fu​ck to sleep
    • Study in the mornings
    • Exercise

^ I'll humbly agree on this one

And I'll switch subjects because I've failed spectacularly at covering the one I was supposed to today...

yes, i retain what i study better in my mornings, not my evenings, less distractions for my horrible lack of concentration. are you still in school or you went back to school, valixy?
    When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.
    William Blake

Ah, what perfect timing for The Guardian to report on this:

[url]http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/poll/2014/jun/06/sleep-memory-discovered-scientists-how-much-enough[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Exeter19 View Post
    yes, i retain what i study better in my mornings, not my evenings, less distractions for my horrible lack of concentration. are you still in school or you went back to school, valixy?
    Yes, mornings are the best
    I'm a teacher and work in a private afternoon centre for children and adults but have enrolled in some courses for completing my studies. It's a bit tough but it's worth it :-)

- - - Updated - - -

Ah, what perfect timing for The Guardian to report on this:

[url]http://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/poll/2014/jun/06/sleep-memory-discovered-scientists-how-much-enough[/url]
    What a perfect timing indeed
    Today is and will be a much better day for studying than yesterday I hope your day will also be very productive!

I was a horrible student when I was a kid - found out late that I had ADD, and the things my parents did to "enhance" my studying were exactly wrong for me.

When I went back to school, I graduated with a 3.5 GPA - by playing music when I was studying, having both my textbook AND a novel in different book-chairs, and splitting my attention between the music, my book, my text-book and the research I was doing online as I saw fit.

Dad used to come into my room, shut off my music, take away my novel, bang on my text-book and say "pay attention to THIS".

My brain doesn't work that way. I can't watch a movie at home without a laptop and novel at hand. It's just the way I am... your results may vary.

Quote Originally Posted by HeartIsAching View Post
    I was a horrible student when I was a kid - found out late that I had ADD, and the things my parents did to "enhance" my studying were exactly wrong for me.

When I went back to school, I graduated with a 3.5 GPA - by playing music when I was studying, having both my textbook AND a novel in different book-chairs, and splitting my attention between the music, my book, my text-book and the research I was doing online as I saw fit.

Dad used to come into my room, shut off my music, take away my novel, bang on my text-book and say "pay attention to THIS".

My brain doesn't work that way. I can't watch a movie at home without a laptop and novel at hand. It's just the way I am... your results may vary.
    You almost remind me of a friend who once invited me for pizza at his place with music in the background, while watching a film with the subtitles on, but also holding a small radio near his ear to follow an important football match and all this while we were having conversation :-D
    Now seriously, thanks for the tips. I'm glad you found what really works for you. I've been struggling to study in the last two days but today's been much better

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast