+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: MBTI - Which personality type are you?

Quote Originally Posted by Exeter19 View Post
    i'll take it but i don't buy into these kinds of tests.

- - - Updated - - -

Your personality type: ENFP
    The representation of the ENFP personality type even has a cape like your avatar

I just want to add that test results don't accurately report a person's type.... probably >60% of the time at least one letter is wrong.

Unfortunately, with this kind of framework, even one wrong letter will report a very, very different type as all sixteen types are very, very different.

The idea that one would have a 'secondary' type has some merit but it pertains more to your 'shadow side' or that which is revealed under stress. In general, the idea is rejected and we are assumed to have one type for our entire lives which is static, unchanging, and neurological in basis.

The smoothest approach to typology is to identify all four cognitive functions (thinking, feeling, intuition, and sensation) and decide which two are dominant/healthy and which two come out under stress or are more 'unconscious'. The two conscious, dominant functions, will be your middle two letters as above. One will always be a discernment function (T or F) and the other will always be a perceiving/information gathering function (S or N).

The idea is that each function "represses" its opposite into unconsciousness. So the most dominant function (which determines whether you are I or E) will repress its polar opposite into what's known as the 'inferior' position.

T and F have repressive relationship, as do S and N.

In our ENTJ for example, the function of Te (extraverted thinking) is dominant so Fi (introverted feeling) will be inferior. This means that ENTJs have very little contact with their feeling side and it can often be expressed in times of anger or stress, in a juvenile and underdeveloped fashion, yet it will also be 'aspirational' to the ego and part of the goal of healthy ego development involves successfully coming to terms with the inferior and learning how to put it in its place. In a Te dominant (such as the ENTJ and ESTJ), inferior Fi can also readily manifest as a total neglect of one's own feelings and a total neglect/utter UN-acknowledgement of the feelings of others.

Another type with inferior feeling is the INTP, with the same functional preferences as the ENTJ only reversed attitudes. So the INTP will have extraverted feeling in the inferior position.

Introversion and extraversion will always be balanced between these two conscious functions so one will express itself with an introverted orientation and one will express itself with an extraverted orientation. This is actually where the P/J dichotomy comes into play.... if the extraverted function is a perceiving one you will be a P and if it is a judging one you will be a J.

Examples-

ENTJ: Te + Ni (tertiary and inferior will be the polar opposites of the dominant and auxiliary, in this case Se and Fi)
    INTJ: Ni + Te (Fi and Se)

INFP: Fi + Ne (Si and Te)
    INTP: Ti + Ne (Si and Fe)

ESFP: Se + Fi (Te and Ni)

So notice how the ESFP and INTJ actually use the exact same functions (Te, Ni, Fi, and Se) in exact reverse order, which is why all four letters are reversed. The inferior function of the INTJ is Se which is the dominant of the ESFP and the dominant of the INTJ is Ni which is the inferior in the ESFP.

So what is my point?

This enrichment of the basic idea of four dichotomies will help you perform a more accurate assessment of your own type and it is exactly what enables other people to type you instead. I personally believe it is almost more accurate to have somebody else type you than to try and do it yourself, especially with the test.

$0.02
    Last edited by masticate; 09-06-14 at 12:28 AM.

^ Very interesting your $0.02 piece of information, M :-) You've actually taken it to a whole new level!

I first took the test in Spanish, which was much longer and had different questions for some reason, and I got a slightly different result but I felt much more identified with the personality type identified through the shorter questionnaire in English.

I'm thinking of suggesting the test in English to some of the people I know very well and also follow your suggestion about typing them in parallel. What do you think would work best, taking the test for them or assessing their personal TSIF functions and study all personality types?

The initial contact with MBTI on loveforum has been quite a success as you can see :-) Hopefully more LF members will take the test because it would be fun to read about their personality types since we interact so often on the forum, learn more about them and see how much of one's personal perception of the others is accurate.

How identified do you feel with the INTJ personality type?
    Last edited by Valixy; 09-06-14 at 07:05 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Valixy View Post
    How identified do you feel with the INTJ personality type?
    He is absolutely not an INTJ, and I'm offended that you would make such a ridiculous suggestion.

Do you see how he types a ridiculous amount of stupid shit in every post that nobody can honestly be bothered to read? No, he's certainly an extrovert; or at the very least, an idiot.

I'm looking forward to your reply, M., when you have a moment

Hm.

From my experience, INTJs are very opinionated and diverse. Some are very prone to coming to quick conclusions and trust their own perspective very strongly. Others take time to mull things over are are more terse in their expression. One interesting thing about INTJs that makes them unique is they really do not get along well with other INTJs and can often become archenemies.

The ironic thing about "extraversion" is that by forcing one particular point of view over any other, an INTJ is actually behaving in an extraverted fashion, by overly engaging their extraverted functions of thinking and sensation, particularly with statements like: look at this, you don't even have to read it... and, it's obvious that ....

Some are highly consistent individuals with a good grasp on their direction in life. Some engage/disengage their Se function in very inappropriate ways, such as making sweeping generalizations without inspecting the content. They might alternate between blaring the music at a supremely inappropriate volume and then demanding total silence five minutes later.

Most of the time, an INTJ will suppress their feeling function and their discernment is very logical and abrupt. Extraverted thinking stands in direct opposition to introverted feeling, however, in an INTJ... they are an irrational type in fact as their dominant function is intuition, a perceiving function. According to C.G. Jung, the father of this typological theory, the dominant function of an individual basically defines their type (as Jung mostly recognized only eight types and the auxiliary function was acknowledged only insofar as it was able to claw its way to the surface of consciousness to balance out the introversion/extraversion + rational/irrational dichotomies)... his rationale was that although one function will repress the other three to some extent into unconsciousness, an individual of pure type would have no reliable means of balancing their perceptions and judgements and would be intensely neurotic.

What this senseless bullshit means, actually, is that an INTJ's thinking function is barely stronger than their feeling function in terms of dominance and hierarchy. Types are defined first and foremost by the dominant function of consciousness. Introverted intuition is a function that is highly focused on inner perceptions and abstractions that are formed based on a subjective interpretation of sensory input.... this is why it is known as irrational. Rational types are the ones whose dominant function of consciousness is either thinking or feeling, functions which are used to determine the appropriate detached categorization / value of data, respectively. To this end, the INTJ is more akin to an INFJ type, which shares the same dominant function of introverted intuition, only it is balanced in the psyche by extraverted feeling instead of thinking. In the INFJ, there is a similar balance of thinking and feeling that you see in the INTJ, only the INFJ extraverts feeling first and feeling has only slight dominance over thinking.

Oh did that answer your question? (I don't think it did.) I identify rather strongly with the INTJ type as I have been studying the MBTI for quite some time and in depth, and have basically considered every single 'nuance' I could identify and incorporated as many perspectives as I could (including the bad waffle) into my inner conceptualization of what types are.
    Last edited by masticate; 09-06-14 at 02:45 AM.

Faggot​​​​​​.

Quote Originally Posted by KingZ View Post
    Faggot​​​​​​.
    this one doesn't like me.

The representation of the ENFP personality type even has a cape like your avatar
    you never said you thought it matched my personality or was saying it even has a cape like my avi saying that? i never noticed a cape, lmao. some was correct, some wasn't, i didn't take my answers full agree or full disagree, lots were in the middle of both areas.

i agree with smackie, if you look at the results so far most are i not e's.
    When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.
    William Blake

Quote Originally Posted by masticate View Post
    Oh did that answer your question? (I don't think it did.) I identify rather strongly with the INTJ type as I have been studying the MBTI for quite some time and in depth, and have basically considered every single 'nuance' I could identify and incorporated as many perspectives as I could .
    You did answer my question and as a result I'm finding the INTJ personality more and more fascinating actually :-)

I've got one more question though. If I presented the test to some of my family/friends and I wanted to type them myself in parallel, as you suggested, what do you think would work best, taking the test for them or assessing their personal TSIF functions and study all personality types?

Quote Originally Posted by Exeter19 View Post
    you never said you thought it matched my personality or was saying it even has a cape like my avi saying that? i never noticed a cape, lmao. some was correct, some wasn't, i didn't take my answers full agree or full disagree, lots were in the middle of both areas.
    I certainly thought it represented you. I couldn't tell if completely of course, but I could identify some of the characteristics I could perceive from your interventions on the forum :-)

ENFJ

Extroversion, Intuition, Feeling, Judgment

I'm a different kinda chic...all over the place. Always in my feelings..........
    Last edited by Starnique; 09-06-14 at 04:41 AM.

I've got one more question though. If I presented the test to some of my family/friends and I wanted to type them myself in parallel, as you suggested, what do you think would work best, taking the test for them or assessing their personal TSIF functions and study all personality types?
    Many people find this to be an interesting subject and look for further resources.*

My opinion on typing another is that one should attempt to make positive identification of the dominant function (thinking, feeling, sensation, or intuition(N)) as well as the primary attitude of orientation (introversion(i) or extraversion(e)) and then you will be able to confirm your hypothesis through an effort to identify the weakest or inferior function. You can cross reference the two and be certain that they are indeed polar opposites (for example, to really verify if you are an INFP you will need to positively identify extraverted thinking (Te) as your inferior function, as it is the polar opposite of the INFP's dominant - which is introverted feeling (Fi); there are many resources on the web that discuss every detail).

By pinpointing the dominant and inferior like this, you are really reducing the possibilities down to two. The thing is, this alone is a feat of uncertainty. It is most difficult to absolutely pinpoint the dominant function of somebody but with some types it certainly is easier than others. The more complicated a person is, the more difficult it becomes. I don't mean to be rude but many ESFJ (Fe dominant - rational/judging) and ESFP (Se dominant - irrational/perceiving) types are walking stereotypes who can be typed with relative ease and certainty.

*resources:

PersonalityJunkie

CelebrityTypes

Socionics - be forewarned that Socionics uses alternate terminology and always uses P to refer to irrational types, even introverts, which is in stark contrast to the MBTI which uses P to distinctly mean 'extraverted perception' in other words an INFP in MBTI is known as an INFj (because they are a rational type, thus J) in socionics however an ENTP in MBTI is also an ENTp in socionics.

Psychological Types by C.G. Jung, Chapter X in particular. (warning: WALLS of text, walls and walls and walls) -- many people believe Jung was most certainly an introverted intuitive.
    Last edited by masticate; 09-06-14 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by masticate View Post
    Many people find this to be an interesting subject and look for further resources.*
    Thank you for all the information. I will for sure look into this in the future

Quote Originally Posted by Starnique View Post
    ENFJ

Extroversion, Intuition, Feeling, Judgment

I'm a different kinda chic...all over the place. Always in my feelings..........
    Thank you for taking the test, Star :-) You're a great chic

Representing approximately 2 percent of all people, the ENFJ personality type tends to be very influential, often without making any conscious effort to increase their influence. As part of the Diplomats (NF) group, ENFJs are genuinely interested in other people and radiate authenticity, concern, and altruism. Not surprisingly, those who surround ENFJs usually find them very inspiring and likeable.

ENFJs are usually very charismatic and eloquent and find it natural and easy to communicate their ideas and opinions, especially in person. It does not really matter whether they are presenting cold facts or expressing raging emotions; the ENFJ will not be afraid to stand up and speak, regardless of the audience.

This is one of the reasons why ENFJs can be so convincing and mesmerizing when they speak: they instinctively know how to combine passion and rational arguments, drawing the audience’s attention and reaching every mind. People with this personality type can be great leaders, and they do not necessarily have to get into politics to make a difference. An ENFJ teacher or coach can have a strong positive effect on many people’s lives as well.

ENFJ personalities are very intuitive. They find it easy to sense other people’s motives and find connections between seemingly unrelated events. ENFJs also tend to be quite good at analyzing their own feelings and questioning them if necessary.

That's what the website said. I'm in damn good company.

Barack Obama, U.S. president
    David, King of Israel
    Abraham Lincoln, former U.S. president
    Ronald Reagan, former U.S. president
    William Cullen Bryant, poet
    Abraham Maslow, psychologist
    Sean Connery, actor
    Francois Mitterrand, former French president
    Tommy Lee Jones, actor
    Oprah Winfrey, talk show host
    Michael Jordan, basketball player
    Matthew McConaughey, actor
    Ben Affleck, actor
    John Cusack, actor
    “Daenerys” from Game of Thrones

INFP
    I believe personality quizzes way too easily, but I feel like this description fits me to a T:
    INFPs are imaginative idealists, guided by their own core values and beliefs. To a Healer, possibilities are paramount; the realism of the moment is only of passing concern. They see potential for a better future, and pursue truth and meaning with their own individual flair.

INFPs are sensitive, caring, and compassionate, and and are deeply concerned with the personal growth of themselves and others. Individualistic and nonjudgmental, INFPs believe that each person must find their own path. They enjoy spending time exploring their own ideas and values, and are gently encouraging to others to do the same. INFPs are creative and often artistic; they enjoy finding new outlets for self-expression.
    *nods and whispers to the writer* I'm also funny, don't forget that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12