+ Follow This Topic
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Losing my virginity

He got ya Searock. lmao

Refer to the other thread when you was talking about self respect this and that not having anything to do with sex. You said you "choose" not to sleep around but it had nothing to do with respect. You know good and damn well that's why you don't sleep around. You have too much self respect for that. Admit it.

The point she's making is that back then, virgins were only well-respected because of slut shaming and sexism, and with the advent of protection in the 21st century, minds are starting to change.

Frankly, it's an obscene oversimplification, but alright.

The fact is, it wasn't just female virginity that was valued, it was virginity, period. Not officially, anyway. All religious texts forbid premarital sex regardless of gender. Determining the social "cause" of the placement of higher importance of female virginity is probably an extremely complicated task. You can't just chalk it up to sexism and blame men.

I can't believe two people thanked the waffles post when he used the word bitch to describe a woman poster. FFS. His use of the derogatory label takes away totally from the message he is trying to convey.

- - - Updated - - -

All religious texts forbid premarital sex regardless of gender.
    Yes, well there was away to get around that for you men though. Multiple wives. Multiple husbands of course was forbidden. pffft.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

Quote Originally Posted by KingZ View Post
    The point she's making is that back then, virgins were only well-respected because of slut shaming and sexism, and with the advent of protection in the 21st century, minds are starting to change.

Frankly, it's an obscene oversimplification, but alright.
    Yeah it's oversemplification because this is a simple thread on the internet, I'm not writing a paper on it :-).

The fact is, it wasn't just female virginity that was valued, it was virginity, period. Not officially, anyway. All religious texts forbid premarital sex regardless of gender. Determining the social "cause" of the placement of higher importance of female virginity is probably an extremely complicated task. You can't just chalk it up to sexism and blame men.
    Again: not blaming men, blaming sexism. They are two very different things.

Anyway, virginity used to be valued more in women than men probably due to biological and societal factors that made a lot of sense back when condoms and birth control weren't readily available for everyone and society was strongly patriarchal and based on families. A virgin woman meant a (probably) disease-free woman and also a lack of other males' offspring. It allowed the strong familiar ties which were the pillars of society back then. A man wasn't as strictly required to be a virgin before marriage because, due to the patriarchal structure of society and the biological differences between males and females, men weren't "stuck" to their offspring, so a guy could impregnate a woman and then just walk away, off to inseminate someone else.

This is another obscene oversemplification, but it's a pretty reasonable explanation and it also clarifies why the whole mentality is slowly, changing with the advent of commonly-available birth control and disease protection.

- - - Updated - - -

Oh and lol I can't believe people didn't get it - I wasn't slut-shaming when I said "yep, prostitutes, not well-respected women", I was merely placing myself in the people of those times' shoes.

ok you guys that's enough. Stop derailing threads with your arguments. I'm kicking you off your soapboxes and closing this thread.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234