+ Follow This Topic
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 969 characters limit

Actually, the idea of starting our own custom LF would be so cool. Imagine the possibilities! A PM system that doesn't suck; an unobtrusive notification system for things like receiving thanks; no PM/message limits; you could thank or "dislike" a post; there'd be no excessive subforum nonsense; no advertising or monetization; no slow loading...

This kind of excites me. On the downside, I'd have to behave like an adult. :-\

- - - Updated - - -

OH! And no swearing filter! God, there are so many things about this site that fu​cking suck.

You could edit and delete posts with no time limit... *_*

I wonder if loveforums.net is taken...

Sample of new thread:

New Pstr: I'm in love with my frnd.
    Reg Pstr: Tell her you love her & if she no love u back tell er to fk off.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

why does my account say "registered user" and everyone else's says "regular user" i've been here since aug 2013? and people here less than me have regular, wtf? what does the registered, regular, normal and other titles now mean?

- - - Updated - - -

ok after i posted it switched from "registered user" to "normal user". why? guess i need to read through these threads, lmao.

- - - Updated - - -

and after my update to my original post it now, switched to "regular" why is the title switching?
    When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.
    William Blake

Quote Originally Posted by KingZ View Post
    Actually, the idea of starting our own custom LF would be so cool. Imagine the possibilities! A PM system that doesn't suck; an unobtrusive notification system for things like receiving thanks; no PM/message limits; you could thank or "dislike" a post; there'd be no excessive subforum nonsense; no advertising or monetization; no slow loading...

This kind of excites me. On the downside, I'd have to behave like an adult. :-\

- - - Updated - - -

OH! And no swearing filter! God, there are so many things about this site that fu​cking suck.
    Dude, you're making me drool over the possibilities! This seriously needs to happen.
    How fast can we get it up and running? Or does it take a while?

woo I am excited too. Although there has to be some rules. I mean we cant scare new people away by insulting them all like a lot of people do here.
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

I feel awful for the newbies that are posting!! Either they have to limit themselves to three lines of text or they have to pay 5$, thinking it will give them unlimited access when in fact it only lasts for 24 hours. It's so messed up. I'm all for moving some place else if this madness doesn't stop.

Quote Originally Posted by Rowen View Post
    Dude, you're making me drool over the possibilities! This seriously needs to happen.
    How fast can we get it up and running? Or does it take a while?
    If I may say so myself, my programming skills are sick as fu​ck. They're so good, in fact, people pay me to do it.

I could have something users could log into and post threads on, up and live by tomorrow.

>.>
    Last edited by KingZ; 17-06-14 at 10:22 AM.

Update! I bought a Bootstrap template to quickly get us started should we decide to do this. We don't need a super fancy design to start.

This is what the PM system would look like: [url=http://infinite-woodland-5276.herokuapp.com/pages-inbox.html]Inbox - Pages - PixelAdmin[/url]

The only thing that we'd really need to move forward is a domain/forum name. This is probably the trickiest part.

Does anyone else here have a compsci degree or programming experience with Rails?

- - - Updated - - -

I tried talking some sense into LA, but he's insistent on keeping this rule in place. I have no idea why. Brutal retard stubbornness. The idiot gets fixated on some toy and just won't let go.

Anyway, a possible solution for the diversion of traffic between the two sites would be to write a program that automatically messages every new member with information about the new site and why it's there. They can't respond, but they could receive the message.

I actually already have this code written from when I was being a brat. [url=https://gist.github.com/anonymous/939c5e2798d494d0431a]https://gist.github.com/anonymous/939c5e2798d494d0431a[/url]
    Last edited by KingZ; 17-06-14 at 11:28 AM.

Hmm. ***********.org is available. :\ This place is dying already.

So... shall we move or stay and hope that the limit gets removed?

Quote Originally Posted by searock View Post
    So... shall we move or stay and hope that the limit gets removed?
    I'll leave the call to your good self.

If we do migrate, I'm confident that I could round everyone up and make sure all new traffic comes to the new forum. (In only the most unethical manner, though. See my Gist link.)

- - - Updated - - -

Does anyone else want to buy the domain? I don't mind paying for it, but it would be nice for there to be some way for another person to take control of the new forum should something happen, like some sort of unresolvable dispute or whatever. As it is, I'm going to publish all of the source code on Github. There should be some flexibility, here. I'd like to avoid making the same mistakes.

Also, I found an old LF member who would be willing to help out and join the new one. So that's nice.

Searock poses the question... What are we going to do? Should we create a poll thread or something and see what happens?
    The last time I was involved with a forum switch was when the one writing forum I was on died due to poor management..and I still don't know what the hell to do.

The character limit have been raised to 969 .

This should be good enough before the 'wall of text' effort kicks in.
    "Invest wisely and have money work hard for you"

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast