+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 969 characters limit

969 characters limit

The following errors occurred with your submission
    The text that you have entered is too long (515 characters). Please shorten it to 400 characters long.

Only 'Regular User' with >100 posts can post more than 400 characters long.

Unlock the restriction. - One-time fee $5

- Your thread/Question will be posted to 60,000+ LF members via private message, facebook page and twitter as well.

I know... WTF??? Love forum seriously stop this BS or we will all go and form our own forum. There is enough regular users here for us to do that
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

Did you get the same warning too? I couldn't even quote it in full because I exceeded the 400 characters limit!! And I had to wait for someone to reply to write anything else, because of the "Updated:" feature to prevent multiple consecutive posting... it's ridiculous!! 400 characters is WAY TOO LITTLE, and who would want their thread on facebook/twitter, not to mention PM'ed to every LF member?!?

This has now been fixed.

However, I would still urge LA to remove the posting length limit, because it's a serious buzzkill for everyone involved, including members that aren't directly subjected to this limit.

Yes, absolutely! 400 characters is 3 lines of text and there's no way anyone can properly explain a situation in that little space. I don't think there should even be a limit at all. Generally if the post is too long, people simply don't read and reply, so the OP gets that they have to shorten it up in order to be considered. Same thing goes for walls of text.

I can't fathom why loveadmin would implement a change that nobody asked for instead of taking care of the issues that we have been bringing up for ages (mainly, the excessive number of sub-forums).

- - - Updated - - -

Whee - glad that at least it works for "normal members" now.

The idea is that users who want to post longer pieces of text would pay the $5 fee. He's just in it for the money.

Michelle, the notion to start our own forum has been tried before, but it failed for a number of reasons. Primarily because I'm an asshole, but also because when you search for "love advice forum" or "love forum" on Google, this is the forum that shows up. Unfortunately, it would be very difficult to beat this site's ranking because the domain name "loveforum.net" is so perfect.

Anyway, people just end up posting on both forums.

I know a place that might host us for free...

Quote Originally Posted by HeartIsAching View Post
    I know a place that might host us for free...
    I have almost 20 servers. Hosting wouldn't be a problem.

Let's face it though, unless the limit gets removed, this forum is dead. There's no way anyone in their right mind would pay 5$ just to post here. Especially if it would imply having their personal business posted on facebook, twitter, and PMed to 60,000 strangers. That's just batshit crazy. People come here for anonymity and free advice.

If LA doesn't remove the limit, I'd be open to hosting a new forum elsewhere.

This is bloody ridiculous...

Honestly, if either HIA or KingZ can do it, maybe it'd be worth it if they don't remove the word limit. I thought it was ridiculous to try to send a long PM to someone, and now they're taking away our ability to give as much detail in our advice? **** that. This site is going too commercial.

I could probably write custom forum software for this kind of thing. To be honest, I find vBulletin (the software used to power this site) to be extremely bloated. The page loads very slowly sometimes.

I dont want any of my posts on Facebook. This forum is the only place I can really express all of my opinions openly. Most people dont even know what I am talking about IRL if I ever bring any of this shit up coz there all too busy with their white knight syndrome, co-dependency, over indulgence in alcohol, sleeping with morons in the hope they will miraculousy find love. Half the people I know are dysfunctional. That is why I love this forum coz theres a lot of people who understand me here

- - - Updated - - -

Theres loads of other advice forums out there. We could just take over one of those and keep our usernames the same not enotalone though coz if I even say bitch I get banned uh!

- - - Updated - - -

And then as soon as loveforum fixes the problem we will bounce back in woowoo
    "Don't ask a question if you can't handle the answer".

Go to Gandi.net and search for a few names that might be available. If it looks good and the 400-character limit won't get fixed, I'll buy it and we can get started.

This is very agressive from Loveadmin, looks like he wants his share from fun. 1000 characters are short. Some of these posts are 10'000 long but the limit used to be 15'000. But 400 characters - might as well be four. But then again if you really need advice then 5$ is nothing besides its getting private messaged to others.
    Doubt kills more dreams than failure ever will

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast