+ Follow This Topic
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It's my anniversary, and I'm angry

It's my anniversary, and I'm angry

To make a short story long...

Wifey's dad was in the hospital for a knee surgery last week. The sister that lives there 'had' to drive the other sister that flew in to 'help' back to Dallas to get her flight home, BEFORE my F-I-L was discharged from the hospital... meaning that frail and small M-I-L was going to be stuck trying to take care of large F-I-L for the weekend by herself, including getting him up and around to do normal things like use the bathroom or get washed...

So wifey took off to go help. I was fine with that. In fact, I was kind of bummed that I couldn't get time off from work to go help too. I love my in-laws - I really do. They've embraced me (eventually) and taken me into their family. F-I-L makes a point of calling me 'son'. He's said that he wants to give me his bow-hunting materials, and teach me to fletch the arrows, like he did with his son (now dead)... give 'em to me, teach ME, and not his other three S-I-L's... ME. He sees the way I treat his daughter. My M-I-L has said that she sees that we're 'a lot like they are'... and they've been married for fifty years.

So... wifey went to go help... Other sister got back last night, F-I-L has been developing complications, and last night they went to the ER. ER said "not an allergic reaction, possibly a blood-clot" so they med-evac'd him to a bigger/better hospital in Ft. Smith. Wifey went along.

Why? Her sister was there to help.

Today's our anniversary, and my birthday... and wifey's 200 miles away, for no real reason. I want her home with me, I miss her, and it's our day... or it should be.

I get that this is childish and unreasonable... Really, I don't want any advice, just wanted a place to bitch about it where she wouldn't see it. I won't ever say it to her. But dammit, I'm alone on my birthday and our anniversary, and it grates on me.

Both sides seem to have a valid reasoning behind them. Sorry you're alone on your day. Happy Birthday, though!

Damn. That sucks bro.

Go out a get yourself a drink with your buddies tonight. I'd recommend scotch..it sounds like you could use some of that shit.

Happy bday.

Can't. Gotta work tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by nico88 View Post
    Go out a get yourself a drink with your buddies tonight. I'd recommend scotch..it sounds like you could use some of that shit.
    A scotch? It's 9 AM; HIA is already drunk.

I suppose the reason you're upset is just the expectation. There's nothing inherently special about birthdays or anniversaries, just that you were expecting something on this day and now you don't have it. Only thing to do is adjust your expectation, light a cigar, and cheer the fu​ck up.

Not drunk. Slightly tipsy. Got off work 2 1/2 hours ago, trying to get to sleep.

Birthdays not being special? I'll give you that. It's just the day I was whelped by the mother I've never loved and never loved me...

But my anniversary? **** no. I got it wrong three times before this... and now it's finally a special day. It's the day the love of my life wedded me. I hope that someday you experience that. Seriously.

You haven't been married that long then....after 24 years it doesn't really bother you that much lol.

Nope... not that long. But I've been in love with her for 23 years... and I think I've got 20 years or so left. Not enough time.

I told you I knew it was selfish. Can't help it.

Happy Birthday & Anniversary!

Sorry you are alone today, but maybe when your wife comes back, she will make it up to you.

Happy Anniversary and many happy returns, HIA. Don't be down, when she comes back you can celebrate then. Right now she's worried about her Dad and she wouldn't be much in the moment with you when her mind is on her Dad and his well being.

She's be making up for her absence once he's stable and she can give her full focus to you.
    “The willingness to accept responsibility for one’s own life is the source from which self-respect springs.” ~Joan Didion

vashti is offline Hot love muffin guru
    Users Country Flag
    "Hot Love Pancake(s)"
    It's sweet that you are so sappy over your anniversary, but really, she is where she needs to be. Blood clots can be very serious - I know this. My cousin died from one that traveled to her lungs. (Pulmonary embolism.)

You'll recover.

Happy birthday.
    Relax... I'll need some information first. Just the basic facts - can you show me where it hurts?

Be thankful knowing that she has that kind of compassion and will be there for you when you get sick and old.....

lalalita Guest
    Happy Birthday! I get bratty like that too, even when the logical part of me knows I'm being bratty.

Quote Originally Posted by vashti View Post
    It's sweet that you are so sappy over your anniversary, but really, she is where she needs to be. Blood clots can be very serious - I know this. My cousin died from one that traveled to her lungs. (Pulmonary embolism.)

You'll recover.

Happy birthday.
    Oh yeah - forgot to mention: No blood clot. Allergic reaction to his bandaging.

sorry you are bummed out, hia, but happy bday and happy anniversary to both you and your wife. can you skype today, tonight to at least see each other and then when she gets back have make up bday/anniversary time together, not the same as on the actual day but she is obviously very worried about her father.
    When I tell the truth, it is not for the sake of convincing those who do not know it, but for the sake of defending those that do.
    William Blake

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast