+ Follow This Topic

Thread: Is love worth losing your family over?

Is love worth losing your family over?

So I was with this amazing guy, he made me so very happy. Happier than I had ever been in my life. Things were going great. Then he messed up huge. For most people it would be beyond repair I'm sure but no one was in our relationship or knows the love we share. My sister has vowed to ruin my life and his I ever take him back. And my dad says it's notan option. But since when do others get to dictate who I am with? I don't know how to move past this. It's not your typical breakup we both still love each other. He is getting help for his problems.

~the family you come from isn't as important and the one you are going to make ~

Please help me

What exactly did he do? Can you give more details?

Wow! You only left out the only thing that lets up help.

What did he do to mess up?! Lol

lalalita Guest
    I'm sure your family's threats are empty, and they are just saying them to try to keep you from doing what they feel is a mistake.

Despite what he did, you need to remember this: What happens if it doesn't work out with the man who you betrayed your family for? Then what? What if the threats aren't empty? You would have no one, and would have turned your back on a family unit who has raised you.

yep - can't answer without knowing what he did. Did he do anything which hurt your sister?
    Last edited by basilandthyme; 27-06-14 at 08:14 AM.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Might just be that OP family is right. If she doe really want other people's opinion she should have included what the guy did?
    If men were God

Love these girls who will defend their boyfriends no matter what they did.

"But I love him". Haha

It's also got to be remembered that if we want our families to think well of a partner, we don't go blabbing about all the bad stuff. Discussing what a partner does wrong is a sure way to turn family against them.
    Never regret anything that has happened in your life. It cannot be changed, forgotten or undone. So, take it as a lesson learned and move on.

Difficult to offer advice without know what exactly he did. Your family seems pretty concerned, though and if i were you, I'd try to look beyond the love goggles.

Sounds like your family is concerned for you, it must be something that causes them worry.

I am sure your family loves you, remember that too.
    It's not what you have, it's what you do with what you have that matters.

Quote Originally Posted by basilandthyme View Post
    It's also got to be remembered that if we want our families to think well of a partner, we don't go blabbing about all the bad stuff. Discussing what a partner does wrong is a sure way to turn family against them.
    I Am 100% With You!

I say this to some friends of mine sometimes, male or female. Always say, take note, Never, ever discuss your partner's weak point or wrong doing ( Especially the minor issues that you two can easily talk over find a solution) to your family. You are intentionally giving them the weapons to use in booting him or her out of your life sooner or later.

(Mind you, am not talking about those naive girls who has no self respect that keep depending their boyfriend's wrong doing, just like Surfhb said)
    If men were God